• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack airdam/spoiler

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know and reasonably priced airdams for a roof rack? I looked at THULE's I like it but it's close to $200! That's crazy, if thats what it's going to be like I might just get one of those old (non-molded) bug deflectors paint it and figure a way to mount it. I'm prefer something made for the job though

Why not just go get some thin steel and take it to the base hobby shop. I got one off an old VAX computer cover, brought it home just for the steel before I even bought the XJ let alone the safari rack. Darn thing fits, just never spent the time figuring out how to mount it, probably something like light tab setup...
it's tapered and nicely bent but heavy, I'd want to make sure it was REALLY mounted cause I would hate to have it blow off on the hiway, liable to kill someone....

yeah, I would like to have something that's not going to scratch the hell out of my paint. I suppose you could put some rubber on the bottom or something to protect it.

Why couldn't you use a piece of lexan or plexiglass? It seems you would just need to make a mount for it, cut to size and be done for about $50 max?

Later,
Rough

well that's why I was thinking an old bug deflector...ya know the ones that aren't molded to the car it just a rectangle. I would rather used seomething pro. made I just wanted to see if there were any othe places that made them other then THULE and had a resonable price

It's also called a fairing. I got my Thule fairing from MountainGear (mgear.com) for $50 new, but that was the old style. I don't think the price went up that much. Maybe you were looking at the basket that includes the fairing with it.

I used to sell Thule, Yakima and other racks and more than 10 years ago they retailed for between $45 and $80 depending on size and company. It would not surprise me if they were over $100 now, but $200 seems excessive.

It would be very easy to make one out of either plastic, aluminum or steel and if you look at the way the Thule or Yakima ones are mounted it is very easy to duplicate. You can use door molding or similar for the rubber between your fairing and paint.

My intent would be to make one that was strong enough to handle the brush it sees on the trail.

if you really do not want to make it, look in your local paper, e-bay, and other used places there are always roof racks for sale. I would be shocked if you could not buy one used for $25, $50 absolute max.

Michael

Back