• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long drive ahead

Adam T

NAXJA Forum User
Hey jeepers, I need a few tips for preventive maintenance and such. I have a '92 xj laredo AX4, 242, 4.0HO, d44, 162K ... ok those are my vitals.
I'm leaving in two weeks to drive out to CO (~2000 miles) for the winter and want to make sure I don't end up stranded on the side of the road. Within the last 1000 miles I changed the TPS, CPS, thermostat, fuel filter and engine oil (will change again before I leave along with a new serpentine belt). I also changed the rear diff. and tranny fluid recently. Tonight the idler pulley on the engine block, hey better now than later, right? anyways, I was wondering what other suggestions y'all might have or any ploblematic parts that should be changed in my milage range. Would like to go the whole way without breaking out the MacGyver bag of goodies. Thanx for you input

I might only be coincidental but the three times I had thermostats go bad they went bad in the winter and stuck open, nothing like changing a tstat at 7am in the morning at -10 in the parts store parking lot, along with that I'd do a coolant change while I was at it and a new pressure cap...

Thanx rich, I changed the T-stat and antifreeze about a week ago, good call on the cap though, don't think that i ever changed that, can't be too much for a little added insurance.

Don't forget to make sure you're running gear is OK too - nothing like finding you can't stop in a hurry! Beware of warping rotors and tyres that have taken a knock & are unbalanced. Driving with either of those is not at all fun...

Back