• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Mopar Rock Rails... Any Good??

never heard of them - tho through a simple google search found a pic with them:

getimage.asp

taken from:
http://www.rubiconusa.com/showcase/all.asp?sort=&lastret=40

I have a set still in the box... they seem easy to install but not as sturdy as aftermarket items that mount to the pinch seam as well as the frame rail.

IdeaMan said:
Hey I have the opportunity to purchase some OEM Mopar Rock Rails... anyone know how decent they are? Cheap price.

They originally listed at the dealer near me for $335, I paid $70 a couple years ago when they started blowing out the leftover XJ accessories.

They have a decent design but are made of light duty material. I dented mine quite a bit and bent all three mounting brackets, on both sides, over the 2 years I had them. The rockers tubes can be re-bent straight with a press but, ultimately, you'll want thicker material if you're going to wheel the rig. If they are strictly for show or mild wheeling, they work and look good.

With some bracing of the brackets and a little work on new tubes, you could make a decent set of rock rails out of these and end up with a weld free attachable set that wouldn't need welding to the frame rails.

Hope that helps.

If I mounted some, and dented them up and didn't like them... would I be able to mount an aftermarket set without welding up the holes I drilled to mount the OEM ones or do the Mopar ones mount to factory holes in the frame rail that are already there?

IdeaMan said:
If I mounted some, and dented them up and didn't like them... would I be able to mount an aftermarket set without welding up the holes I drilled to mount the OEM ones or do the Mopar ones mount to factory holes in the frame rail that are already there?

they mount to pre-existing factory holes...

i'm running 'em (also got them at the factory blowout pricing). :D
i ran them "stock" for quite a while-- i liked the fact that they attach at 3 points on the framerail (both from the bottom & the side).
DSCN3823.jpg

however i recently modified/reinforced them-- now they attach to the pinch seam and go up further to protect the upper rocker panel. i'll take some pix this week.

frankly i don't think they're as weak as most people would assume coming from the factory. i've put mine through the paces, and sure the tubes aren't as "oval" in some places as when new, but now that they attach to the pinch seam they are solid.

having said that, i wouldn't have paid the $350 retail from the stealership, but at what i've got in 'em i'm a happy camper.

as promised, here's some pix of the angle iron reinforcements:

railreinforce.jpg

rails.jpg

since this was my first attempt at welding i warped them a bit (D'OH!)... live & learn.

also, you can't see from the photos, but i also added 1" angle on the interior to mount to the pinch seam. so now they're really stout & solid.

hope this helps.

Back