• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok... SYE really needed?

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ok here is a dumb question that i cant seem to find an answer for but someone knows:

Is an SYE really needed for a driveshaft with a slip join in it?
I have seen pictures of driveshafts that have u joints on both ends (both Doubble Cardan and Single Cardan) that have a slip join in them (as would be expected).

My observations lead me to believe that the RE hack and tap SYE just puts a flange on the output shaft and does not restrict movement of the stock T-case output slip joint. Why couldnt a person use the stock output with a yoke (even a YJ yoke) and add a driveshaft with a slip joint built into it?

then the driveshaft would be expanding and the t-case output - while still being able to slip - wouldnt have to slip in and out so much...

does any of this make sense?

thanks for enlightening me
-XJ_Ranger

the hack-n-tap will bolt the flange to the output shaft of the tcase so that it does NOT slide in and out. It is fixed but of course rotates. The drive shaft then has to have a sliding joint in the middle (preferably with a long spline) or towards one end.
i haven't seen a slip yoke on the differential end but I guess anything is possible. All the ones I've seen do have a spline so the yoke can slip on but then is bolted to the shaft just like the yoke or flange on the SYE on the tcase.

Here is a potential problem- imagine the suspension compresses over a bump, the driveshaft compresses, then the suspension unloads. Instead of the driveshaft slip joint moving, the slip yoke pulls out of the transfer case. Not good. Two slip joints on the same shaft really isn't practical.

sgtmack said:
Two slip joints on the same shaft really isn't practical.
ahh but its cheep!

XJ_ranger said:
ahh but its cheep!

But it won't work, it doesn't matter how cheap it is.

I also have an AX15, if you are really not that worried about loosing fluid when you loose your drive shaft. The just keep the slip yoke and do a T-case drop. This will work for the lift you have. Since you have a MT the drive shaft is longer and can deal with the angles better.

Otherwise save up for a SYE and do it right the first time.

little hijack here, dont want to start a new thread.

i have a front shaft to use for an sye. which way do i put it in, or can if just go one way.

The double-cardan does have to be at the t-case end and the axle pinion needs to point at (or slightly below) the t-case output to operate correctly.

Ramsey said:
little hijack here, dont want to start a new thread.

i have a front shaft to use for an sye. which way do i put it in, or can if just go one way.
missing kink here . Adapting the double carden to the output on the transfer case.Is there a boneyard flange for this or could yuo possibly get buy temporarily using the SY to hook it up?

spicer makes a part, i think you can also get it through RE

Back