• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much slip yoke do you want showing?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Well after I swapped in the D44 I thought I bought a driveshaft that would work. When I got to putting it in, I have 2" or so, maybe a tiny bit more of slip yoke showing. I thought this was way too much, like I should be in the 3/4" or so range but a guy on a different board thought you were supposed to have 2" or so. Can someone clarify for me? :D

- Kevin

I dont think the question is how much you have showing and sticking out, but rather how much is engaged in the transfercase. I read somewhere else that you want at least an inch engaged at full drop, so you dont loose a shaft.

id agree with ludakris - the problem is not how much is showing, but how much play you have left. In a DS with a yoke built in, then if you have 2" showing, then you have 2" of compression before the shaft is too long, but the question is more of how much do you have inside?

how much play till the shaft falls out?

Now that I look at it in the day light, it looks like I mis measured :-x I have 1.5" sticking out and roughly 2.25" in the tcase still, is that decent enough?

verrive said:
Now that I look at it in the day light, it looks like I mis measured :-x I have 1.5" sticking out and roughly 2.25" in the tcase still, is that decent enough?

You need to measure when the rear end is fully compressed (on the bumpstops if possible and when it is fully drooped. This is what will verify that it has enough travel for your application. Every lift, DS, combination, etc will be different.

Does that help?
Michael

Back