• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibe woes

siminsez01

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 97 cherokee...

installed a 2" bb (rear shorty aal, front spacer) and 1" tcase drop.... no vibes

the rear was sagging a bit so i installed a 1" shackle lift, which created SO MANY vibes at all ranges of speed. I tried shims, but they only helped slightly. after a weekend of annyoance, i took out the shims, and reverted to the stock shackels.

problem is...the vibes never went away. could i have done something in the process of adding/removing the shackles that screwed things up?

FYI, i've already replaced my front axle u-joints as they had too much play and i though they may be causing some of the vibes.

How can i narrow down the problem? How can i verify that the driveshaft ujoints are all ok?

i get vibes at the full speed spectrum, more when accelerating/decelerating, but still there cruising in neutral.

should i be thinking about sye? shims?

how bad are vibes?.....should i retire my jeep to the driveway until i figure this out?

HELP!!!!!

siminsez01 said:
i have a 97 cherokee...

installed a 2" bb (rear shorty aal, front spacer) and 1" tcase drop.... no vibes

the rear was sagging a bit so i installed a 1" shackle lift, which created SO MANY vibes at all ranges of speed. I tried shims, but they only helped slightly. after a weekend of annyoance, i took out the shims, and reverted to the stock shackels.

problem is...the vibes never went away. could i have done something in the process of adding/removing the shackles that screwed things up?

FYI, i've already replaced my front axle u-joints as they had too much play and i though they may be causing some of the vibes.

How can i narrow down the problem? How can i verify that the driveshaft ujoints are all ok?

i get vibes at the full speed spectrum, more when accelerating/decelerating, but still there cruising in neutral.

should i be thinking about sye? shims?

how bad are vibes?.....should i retire my jeep to the driveway until i figure this out?

HELP!!!!!

First thing to check is your driveshaft operating angles. Buy yourself an angle guage from Home Depot. It's under $10. Then check the angle of your output shaft and pinion. The pinion should be pointed down about 1 degree more than the output shaft (to accomodate for axle wrap). If not, you need to shim the axle the appropriate amount to get the angles right. For example, if your pinion is up 2 degrees, and the output shaft points down 1 degree, you would add a 4 degree shim to the axle to drop the pinion 4 degrees. At which point your output shaft will still be at -1 degree, and the pinion at -2 degrees.

If your angles are right, then replce the rear driveshaft u-joins.

i checked home depot's website, can't find an angle finder?

can i definately get one from home depot, i just cant find it on their site?

if not home depot, where else.....anyone got a link to this thing?

harbor freight has the angle dealies, for like 5 bucks if you have one around you. I put a 3 inch lift on my GF's 98 XJ, it grossed 4 inch of lift in the front and 4.5 in the rear, so far n e ways, i'm sure it will drop some, but have no vibes what so ever, why did you need to do a TC drop with a 2 inch budget boost? the driveshaft angles did not change significantly with a 3 inch lift, so I was wondering if you take the t-case drop out, if that would resolve your issues, seems like that part may not be necessary with a 2 inch BB. Just my 2 cents....

you got lucky steele.
I had to drop 3/4" with my 3"
Seems to me that a shackle lift might kick the pinion up towards the transfer case a bit? Any truth to this crazy thought?

if it was vibrating bad for a while it may have worn out the u-joints so I'd check them for sure. That's prolly why it's still shaking.

siminsez01 said:
if not home depot, where else.....anyone got a link to this thing?
Sears
00939830000-190.jpg
Craftsman Magnetic Angle Finder
Sears item #00939830000 Mfr. model #39830
Magnetic back and base, 90 deg. angle fits corners for 2 way reading.
$4.99

00939840000-190.jpg
Craftsman Magnetic Universal Protractor
Sears item #00939840000 Mfr. model #39840
Magnetic back and base attaches to steel squares or door jambs. Exclusive 90 degree angle fits corners for two-way readings. Two movable indicators rotate 360 degrees for comparison reading
$9.99

okay, got myself an angle finder.

now where is the best place to put this thing to get the best readings? Am i checking the driveshaft angle vs angle of the differential (i've read that i should put the angle finder behind the 8.25 on the bolts that hold the diff cover on for the best reading)?

Back