• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting wheels

I just put on some "new" wheels from US Wheel.Because of the backspace they were considered custom and came in bare(raw).I spent a little time cleanig them up and then I used gloss Rust-oleum.They look better than the factory paint!

painting wheels

i painted mine. i got a deal on 4 15x8 white waggies for $20 so i bought a $15 sand blaster for my compressor, a $.50 bag of play sand and sandblasted them. then i coated each side thoroughly with a rusty metal kry or rustoleam, and then i put on a nice thick coating of gloss black kry. was going to use rustoleam for the topcoat but krylon had a special going. *coupon boy*
my only warning would be: if you have any brake fluid leak fix it first. the brake fluid will tear through the topcoat if you don't wipe it off every other second.
have fun, be creative
Rockhound

I bought some used rims recently and just used black gloss rustoleum on them to clean them up, and i was wondering if yours flaked or peeled at all (I don't have leaking break fluid)

Check out any 99cent stores that you may have in the area. There is one here that I always check first. I've picked up name brand lacquers, enamels,acrylic and epoxy paints and primers. All for you guessed it, just under a buck. One thing to watch out for though is the cans that are that dont have any thing but propelant in them. I don't remember what they are called, some were Sherwin williams something or another. I have no clue how you would get the color into a pressurized can, but I are a carpentar. Sorry, back to the point. Good stuff. I have also got some with a paper label with a tiger on it, has held up really well.
Hope this helps. Besides you have built in rubber masking if you repaint prior to tires. LOL!

I picked up a set of wheels at the local auto dismantler, but they were an ugly (U-G-L-Y) chipped grey color. I sanded them with one of the sponge sandering blocks (about 3x5x1"), primed them with a cheap (non-sandable) primer and painted them with appliance epoxy spray paint. Looks good and has lasted through a couple of tire changes, and some trail wear. Here's a picture (don't laugh :laugh2: at the driveway photo):

RightSide.jpg

no, mine have held up awesome. did you sand them and prime them first or just slap the paint on? if not, the problem could be chemicals that were resting in and on the wheels are reacting with the paint and/ or the surface wasn't rough or porous enough to allow the paint to actually adhere to the wheels.
Rockhound

Back