• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 shaft sizes?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
Does anyone have a set of XJ D44 shafts they can give me some measurements from? I need the length of both of them, as I hear they are different sizes. Also, I need the diameter of the flange.
TIA! :repair:

My axles measure 29 1/8" and 29 3/4",the flange measured about 5 7/8-6".I can mic' the flange if you need!I dont know about that one,I can check if I still have the drums(going disc)!Sorry drums got tossed.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
My axles measure 29 1/8" and 29 3/4",the flange measured about 5 7/8-6".
Thanks Ron!
Do you know by chance if the flange can be a little bigger and still fit into an OEM drum? I'm wondering about getting some shafts drilled for 5 on 5.5" and still use the drum brakes...

I just measured mine at about 5 7/8". I wouldn't drill stock shafts out. Leaves very little material around the stud.

Lincoln said:
I just measured mine at about 5 7/8". I wouldn't drill stock shafts out. Leaves very little material around the stud.
No doubt. I talked to Dutchman, and they wanted no less than a 6 1/4" flange. That would work with a taper on the flange to fit into the drum. Goatman had some made like that.

BillR said:
No doubt. I talked to Dutchman, and they wanted no less than a 6 1/4" flange. That would work with a taper on the flange to fit into the drum. Goatman had some made like that.

They also used screw in wheel studs, rather than press in, since the holes where sort of close to the edge of the flange.

BillR said:

Hey Bill, you might talk to Kazman, he had dutchman make a set for him in the 5x5.5 variety I believe.

No offense to dutchman, but if you want the alloy shafts, as in 1541h which is what you get in a custom shaft from dutchman. just get a set of superiors. they are made out of the same 1541h alloy steel and you can get them in a dual bolt pattern or stock replacement. I just got a set yesterday from drivetrain direct. I forgot what dutchman wanted for a set but If I recall correctly, the superiors should be a better deal.

Rawbrown said:
No offense to dutchman, but if you want the alloy shafts, as in 1541h which is what you get in a custom shaft from dutchman. just get a set of superiors. they are made out of the same 1541h alloy steel and you can get them in a dual bolt pattern or stock replacement. I just got a set yesterday from drivetrain direct. I forgot what dutchman wanted for a set but If I recall correctly, the superiors should be a better deal.
Are you a Superior dealer? :rtm:
Dutchman wants $400 for a set of shafts, and I can get the same shafts for around $300 from Moser. Is Superior going to be comparable to them?

D44 Superiors should be about $260-275 (per pair)

Offroadtoystore has a special on them right now, just e-mail them about their "group buy"

Back