• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shaft q's

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
Moderators please move this if it's in the wrong thread!
Anywho, i had to swap my 95 np231 for a np231 out of a newer xj, 97or 98 i believe. i got the new t-case for 225 from a yard all i had to to was pull it from the tranny which ws sitting in the back after failing to install the new case myself (breaking my windshield in the process) i figured i'd have a local garage do it. I knew the t-case output was different but my driveshaft fit up so i figured i'd be all set. Well today i talked with the mechanic and he tells me the new case is longer than my old one and that my driveshaft will bottom out. I told him to go ahead with the install and i will just drive home with front wheel drive and then figure out what do with my driveshaft. I am lifted at about 2-3 inches in the back but i am not sure that the lift will take up the slack, so i have a couple of options: #1 i can go get the driveshaft out of the xj that i got the t-case from but i'm pretty sure it has a d35, will the u joints match my 8.25 rear end, option 2: get my driveshaft shortened for about $50. #3 lift my rear end a little bit more with mj shackles and maybe another leave and hope that brings the lengths back to spec. Any ideas or opinions would be much appreciated. thanks again,

Mike

#1 - the u-joints will match up on the axle end. If you still can get that driveshaft grab it but I'm curious how you were able to put the 95 driveshaft on a 97ish 231 at all...

mylilchero said:
Moderators please move this if it's in the wrong thread!
Anywho, i had to swap my 95 np231 for a np231 out of a newer xj, 97or 98 i believe. i got the new t-case for 225 from a yard all i had to to was pull it from the tranny which ws sitting in the back after failing to install the new case myself (breaking my windshield in the process) i figured i'd have a local garage do it. I knew the t-case output was different but my driveshaft fit up so i figured i'd be all set. Well today i talked with the mechanic and he tells me the new case is longer than my old one and that my driveshaft will bottom out. I told him to go ahead with the install and i will just drive home with front wheel drive and then figure out what do with my driveshaft. I am lifted at about 2-3 inches in the back but i am not sure that the lift will take up the slack, so i have a couple of options: #1 i can go get the driveshaft out of the xj that i got the t-case from but i'm pretty sure it has a d35, will the u joints match my 8.25 rear end, option 2: get my driveshaft shortened for about $50. #3 lift my rear end a little bit more with mj shackles and maybe another leave and hope that brings the lengths back to spec. Any ideas or opinions would be much appreciated. thanks again,

Mike

It's unfortunate that you got a transfer case from a newer vehicle, because the output shaft design is different from an older style, in that the newer design has the output shaft seal on the shaft, rather than seal on the slip yoke. So the newer design has a longer output shaft, and is also weaker. If you grab a driveshaft off the newer vehicle, with an 8.25 axle, it will work, but you have a much higher risk of developing driveline vibes. SYE time.

Sorry for the way to late reply guys,

Well i got the t-case installed for $180, not too bad cause he didn't drop the tranny or any of that stuff. As for the driveshaft. I did use my old one i just slid it on and then fashioned a boot out a shock boot. My mechanic told me it would clear. Not the ideal set up but it works for now, i was thinking i could go see if the d-shaft is there from the donor vehicle or i could just look into a sye. Hack and tap of course (i'm 17 ,read: cheap) but i don't want to have to pay too much so i'm looking into a hombrew cheap one. I can do some machining and have a full machine shop at my disposal i can also mig and micro tig weld so no problems there. I'm thinking of using a front d-shat but i can't figure out how to get a yoke onto the back of my new t-case. (the front ds that i have off the donor vehicle needs a yoke, which ones bolt up to a flange?) I have also hear that there isn't clearance for a yoke and i'd have to use a flange on the rear. Again sorry for the late reply.

Mike

Back