• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building control arms

Inisadow

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to build the cheapest possible lift I can right now. And I want to make my own U/L control arms I am just wondering if 1/4in wall tubing would be strong enough I figure the Diameter would be about 2in. I'm a newbie to fabricating but you gotta start somewhere so I figure now is a good time.

2" diameter with 1/4" thick is fine. If you're good at welding, then go ahead and start learning to fabricate. If you're learning to weld too, start on bumpers and stuff first to get your welds good.

the 1/4" thick 2" flavor is a good choice, go with it.

you can absolutely use square for arms.

round is a great shape to use since it has good strength omni-directionally.

square is nice and strong in 2 planes, and positioned correctly, can work to your advantage

been doing some research on this
what would you suggest to build onto box steel as far as the ends
wouldnd using round DOM be easier for finding rod ends inserts etc
any write ups on this???

Last edited:
I'm looking into doing the same thing...I've been looking at using 2" OD .250 wall DOM or chromoly for my arms, but I need to know some lengths for stock (uppers and lowers) - about a 5.5" lift. Can't really take my daily driver apart. I am looking into getting the Daystar polybushing kit and using those in place of johnny joints or heims, for the time being.. I have my basic design in mind I just need to get my dimensions together to get the ball rolling on this (I need new tires and my M/T wheels have been sitting in my room for too long need to get the jeep up another 2" to fit the 31s.)

Back