• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that noise?

BskisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a pieced lift with a set of lifted ZJ coils, Rusty 3.5 leafs and RE shackles and Doestch Tech shocks. Lift netted a little over 4.5". Part of the install involved removing the rear sway bar. The first thing I did after the install was to get an alignment, It wasn’t far from specs. I drove it around for a couple of weeks with the stock tires. It had very small drive train vibes so I installed a transfer case drop, vibes went away.

After the lift I noticed a large thud while going over bumps, it sounds like it is coming from the rear. Now here is what I have checked. Made sure everything was tight, leafs and shocks. Checked tranny mount. The only thing I can find is that the right leaf is barely hitting a rear exhaust clamp. I just don’t think that this could be the cause of such a large thud. Any suggestions???

Also is this normal after taking off the rear sway bar While going around turns the vehicle sways to the outside. The steering is tight with no play.

Here is a link of some of my progress, some with 33's not the best pics though.
http://www.netexportal.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10004

whenever you take out a swaybar your gonna have more body roll, as for the noise if everything is tight it might just be the tighter susp. your not used to, I know when I hit a bup it will thub pretty good too.

Or it very well could be the exhaust clamp. My exhaust rattles around alot, and when it hits the axle or frame you know it. It might not seem like it would be that loud, but you would be suprised.

Also, check the bushings in your shocks.

Could also be some kind of tranny/t-case mount problem.

Mine was coming from my shocks however.

Fergie

The noise definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear. Checked everything again today, did have to tighten the u-bolts on one side a little. Even cut the exhaust pipe to before the leaf springs to make sure there was enough clearance. Lube everything up. Drive shaft is tight. Test-drove and still have the thud.

The shocks? New, When I had the vehicle on stands and the axle dropped to the ground they had plenty of room. I doubt going over a little bump would bottom them out. So I gotta X that one.

A buddy of mine said it may be the shackles loading with the springs. Is this just something I have to live with??

try removing teh rear shocks and going for a quick spin. shocks can do funny things sometimes and this has worked for me in the past.

jjvande said:
try removing teh rear shocks and going for a quick spin. shocks can do funny things sometimes and this has worked for me in the past.

I was thinking maybe the tops of the shocks were hitting the underbody, the Doestch Tech shocks have pretty soft bushings. Maybe some bar-pin elimators? Will take them off for a short spin Saturday.

Oh the shackles aren't hitting the bumper bolts, checked that when I greased them up. Thanks!

Dont nix the shocks quite yet. I had a very similar problem with mine and it was the shocks.

I have raised mounts on the axle, and was running the RRO BPEs with OME shocks. With that combined, the shocks were too long at my lift height. I replaced the BPEs with a larger diameter barpin, and the noise went away.

Fergie

The more I think about it the shocks to sound like they may be the problem. I'll take them off fo a short ride this Saturday (next day available). If they are the problem I'll probably try bar pin eliminators first.

UPDATE......
Finally got the barpin eliminators. Got a set of the JKS ones, put them on today. Still have the thud.

I guess the only thing left would be the tranny mount. Allready picked one up. If it's nice tomorrow I will tackle that project.

BskisXJ said:
UPDATE......
Finally got the barpin eliminators. Got a set of the JKS ones, put them on today. Still have the thud.

I guess the only thing left would be the tranny mount. Allready picked one up. If it's nice tomorrow I will tackle that project.

How do the bushings at the axle side of the shock look?

Fergie said:
How do the bushings at the axle side of the shock look?

Bushings are excellent, Brand new Doestch Techs.
Oh yeah, I did cut the exhaust so it's not in the way of the springs anymore.
I hope it's just the tranny mount, Will let you know.

Almeek69 said:
check the exhaust pipe where it goes through the tranny crossmember. had mine do that .

Went to replace the tranny mount today, Well it was not needed. The mount in in great shape, everything is attached and rubber looks good.

Where the exhaust pipe goes thru the tranny mount, I had thought about that as well. It looks like the pipe is bolted to the crossmember. What should it look like? Should it be bolted to the crossmember??

There should be a rubber mount that is bolted to the crossmember. The exhaust has a tab coming off of it that slides into the rubber mount. On mine, the tab is broken and my exhaust makes some pretty loud noises when it bangs around on the crossmember.

Back