• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seats

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
what seats do you guys run? My stock xj seats are pretty worn out. I want to go with an aftermarket seat. Also show pics of them in and were is the best place to get them?

Scheelmann

scheelmann01.jpg

Niiiice...I heard from somebody else that ZJ seats bolt in if you swap the XJ tracks over to them. I'll probably try this out before long, my seats are looking pretty crappy too...

so you can swap in ZJ seats? I have a nice set of leather ones locally for sale that I want to put in my 96 sport. Any input would really help out

While we are on this subject let me take it in a slightly differant direction. I have a two door and need new front seats. I need the passenger seat to fold forward, like the original. So what are you guy's with two door Cherokee's using?

Don't know about the rear seat, but you can usually find these in decent shape from a yard from another cherokee. The drive seat obviously gets the most use and is in the worth shape of them all. I know that 94-95' xj are a similar to the XJ style seat track where the seat bracket bolts to a welded square piece of metal. In xj's early than this, the seats must bolt to the flat floor. I have some 03' PT Cruiser seats I'd like to swap into my xj, but haven't done it yet.
Troy

BlueGerbil said:
Scheelmann

scheelmann01.jpg

Nice looking seats, what are those from? A factory vehicle or aftermarket? What's SCheelmann???

Big Red said:
Don't know about the rear seat, but you can usually find these in decent shape from a yard from another cherokee. The drive seat obviously gets the most use and is in the worth shape of them all. I know that 94-95' xj are a similar to the XJ style seat track where the seat bracket bolts to a welded square piece of metal. In xj's early than this, the seats must bolt to the flat floor. I have some 03' PT Cruiser seats I'd like to swap into my xj, but haven't done it yet.
Troy

So you can take the XJ seat track and bolt it to the ZJ seat and it should bolt to the floor? Is this correct? I have a 91, if it can be done with little modding that's dooable.

Hi There,
I tried to install my Recaros (that i had in my YJ) in my Cherokee yesterday and they are an inch and a half too wide. The recline dial hit the seatbelt retractor. Did yours fit ok? Maybe your seats are slightly narrower than mine (form your picture it seems that way)

also can i see a picture of the type of plate or bracket you used? I appreciate that.

Steve

Steelerfan said:
I have a two door and need new front seats. I need the passenger seat to fold forward, like the original.

I'm wondering whether I can reuse the pads off a 4-door 94 Limited to repad/ recover my existing seat structure, thereby getting nice leather seats for my sport. However, there may be another way, if I can fab up a tipping mechanism & hinge on the 4 door seats, and swap in the cabling.

Has anyone had any experience of modifying 4 door seats to fit a 2 door?

Just get some high density foam and restuff your seats. I sat in an XJ this weekend and the owner had just re-stuffed his seats and the difference was amazing compared to my beat-up old seats.

Fergie

If you're going to spend the money on new seats, look at the Mastercraft Rubicons. I have had mine for a year and they are great. Because they are a suspension seat, you don't feel as many small bumps on the road if it is a DD.

Urban Redneck said:
If you're going to spend the money on new seats, look at the Mastercraft Rubicons. I have had mine for a year and they are great. Because they are a suspension seat, you don't feel as many small bumps on the road if it is a DD.

My bro is looking into getting those in his 91' xj. He fell through a 15 ft section of a floor when he was in construction and has some back issues from it. I have RE, Central 4 wheel, and 4wheel parts by me in Sac, so we have to sit in them before he buys. I know they are pricy, but worth the comfort. How much was the seat to get it into your xj (adapters, options, etc)? What year xj do you have?

How's the weather in AH? I'm from Mt. Prospect and was born in AH. My family lives in Rockford.
Troy

BskisXJ said:
So you can take the XJ seat track and bolt it to the ZJ seat and it should bolt to the floor? Is this correct? I have a 91, if it can be done with little modding that's dooable.

I don't know for sure, but I know that my 95' xj had the same/very similar seat bracket as the ones used on ZJ's. They use a bracket that bolts to a square tubing in the front, instead of the 4 mounts to the floor from 84-93'. I've heard of people using ZJ seats though. The 96' had interior upgrades and are nice and padded. I know because I had a 95' and now a 98' Laredo with cloth seats and the 98' has a much improved interior. I have 03' PT Cruiser seats I hope to put in my xj soon.
Troy

No pics of mine in right now, but I have these. They are awsome and fit and look like factory (minus the 4 point seat belts). Its nice having the seat hold you in the seat when your on the trail or on the street. Mine are the narrow ones because the wide only came in black when I ordered.

Starboard M said:
No pics of mine in right now, but I have these. They are awsome and fit and look like factory (minus the 4 point seat belts). Its nice having the seat hold you in the seat when your on the trail or on the street. Mine are the narrow ones because the wide only came in black when I ordered.
for that much I'll settle for rubicon mastercraft seats- looks like those would snap in half after some hard use- and I'd hate to think if I let my dad drive it :laugh3:

Urban Redneck said:
Instead of the mastercraft seats. look into PRP seats, daily drivers. Same exact seat for like $120 cheaper. www.prpseats.com

Dan

Mastercraft seats don't recline. Not much of a daily driver seat if you ask me (nobody did right, oh well). Anyhow, I also am curious about having 4 door
seats in a 2 door (I have some leather WJ seats). Has anyone done this? I am just going to have to disassemble mine and compare. I will try and make this work, and (Steelerfan and chancer) I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything. Fiddleguy, what do you know about TJ seats? Is this also a bolt in swap? TJ seats flip forward for rear passengers right? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back