• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows failure

WashoutXJ

NAXJA Forum User
2 days ago, my power windows (all 4 at once) stopped working while I was rolling them down. After checking fuses, which isn't clear as to which one is for the windows, I tried them again, and voilah, they rolled down.

Now they are stuck there. They will inch up if I turn to acc., but stop after making little progress. I've also noticed a certain buzzing sound when they are working that disappears when they stop working.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks, Eddie

Take a look under the carpet on the driver side floor. The wires from the windows run diaganolly under the jute padding to the center transmission hump. The padding will hold any moisture from wet shoes, etc., and corrode the wires. This happened to my '93 and was easily spotted because of the green and white glob and bulge in the wires. (moving the wires caused them to deterioate about 2" of wire - no wonder they didn't work!)

This might not be the problem, but easy to check. My drivers window would work - just not the other three!

2XJ

Your power windows are on a 30 amp circuit breaker instead of a fuse. The circuit breaker is on the fuse panel. The circuit breaker resets when the short is no longer causing it to turn off. This explains why your window worked again later. I would suspect a short in the lines. Narrow it down to the switch and window involved and go from there. If it happens on all window switches then suspect the main feed into the master switch on drivers side or it could be the main ground at that switch. It your power locks dont cause a similar problem it is not likely the ground since the locks use the same ground path through the master switch to the body ground under the dash on drivers side. Get back to us w. more info. Greg

Greg - its all 4 windows, and the power locks still work, how do I get to the main feed that goes to the master switch? Take my door apart?

2XJ - that makes sense, will check under there, trail mud and what not could seep down since I have no floor mats. Will check.

It is a red wire I believe that comes from the circuit breaker (small tin can thing on fuse panel) that goes into door and to back of master switch. You might also try replacing the circuit breaker perhaps that is the thing that is buzzing. Greg

ok, let me try. I pulled up the carpet on driver side, and replaced 5 bad wires there (corroded real bad), but that fixed nothing. Thanks Greg. -Eddie

Take your doors off, eddie!

I'm going to soon Luke, but I'll still need functional windows for when it rains. Either that or I rip out all the carpet, put in drain plugs, rhino line the interior, and wear a rain coat when it rains.

Back