• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44?

BoostyKid

NAXJA Forum User
heres the deal i just got 4.10's for my 8.25 and i was wondering how much a dana 44 usually go's for? and what would be the best to snatch it out of. if i can get one for a good price i might just take back my 4.10's brand new and get 4.56's for the dana 44. im only doing the rear for about a month till i get some cash.

the places ive called looking for a D44 in junkyards around here want 700-1000 bucks for an XJ D44.

a D44 from a private party like another wheeler would go for around 350-400 depending on what its packin

i have a 44 from a scout 2. 200 bucks. (+goodies)

also check out a ford 8.8 from a 97 or later explorer. (disk breaks)

dont under-estimate the strength of the 8.25... prefer a 96+(?) 29-spline axle but i beat the hell out of my 27-spline with a detroit locker in it and it does fine.. you didnt say what your combination is so i will assume you have researched your gear choice to match your tires.. a D44 is a good choice but not always nessecary.. someone is bound to suggest a Ford 8.8 swap but i think thats alot of work for what you end up with, although they do come geared with 4.10s quite often... (let the flames begin.)

If it's a 96 you're going to have to pull the axleshaft and count the splines. Late 96s got the 29-spline while the majority were 27s. It's still a good axle though. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum if you're set on a D44 though or if you want to go deeper than 4.56s. I picked my D44 up for about $250 if I remember correctly, although it's costing me a lot more than that with the gear problems I gave myself...

I'd keep the 8.25. It will be strong enough since you said you only wheel on the weekends and its a daily driver. Save your money and put 4.10s up front so you can have four wheel drive again.

Back