• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new and full of questions

goosecock

NAXJA Forum User
allright. here we go. i have an 86 cherokee 4 door. it has the 2.8:anon: and all the stock trannie tranfer case and axels. i had a 6 inch lift on this jeep about 4 months ago and decided to take it off a week later because my jeep was all over the road. well now my brother who has an explorer is in the process of putting a d44 up front with coilovers and a ford 9" in the rear with a spring over axle. needless to say i need to be able to show him whos boss. I am currently puting the lift back on now with 6" springs in front and a 1.5 inch spacer and 6" springs in the back with a 1" shakle and 1" block. So heres where the questions come in. here is my plan, put an awsome 35 kit in the rear or steal my bros 8.8 with a detroit:confused:, put hardened axels in the d 30 and a locker (recomendations?) i would like to go arb or ox or electric but they are all expensive. last but not least when i get the money( if that day ever comes) im puting in a chevy 4.3 vortec. i know that advanced adapters sells a belhouse adapter but does anyone know if the stock tranny and transfer will stand up to this? also how criticle is a tailshaft kit? do they even make one for the 207? would it just be better to swap to the np? thats it for now. thanks for the help, btw i plan on running 35x12.5

I'm sure that the other guys will chime in soon. If I were you I would take my time and listen to the advise on this board. First start looking for a 44 for the rear. Sometimes you can find them in the U-pull-it yards. Look to Advance Adapters for what's going to be the easist engine and trans to swap. Dump the 207. Anything around 6" you should get an SYE. Good luck!!!

already have the sye and the 4.3 should be the easiest swap. I would get a 4.0 but i just bought a tl100r and a ktm 250 sx (about 15k worth of bikes.) so i dont have the flo to go and buy another jeep. im doing this paycheck to paycheck. plus my jeep already has breaklines control arms and trak bar and custom front drive shaft so if i were to get a 4 i would have to take all this shit off my jeep then i wouldnt be able to sell it. i can probably get my bros 8.8 for the price of the locker (he paid 5) they have the same bolt pattern and that seems like the best thing to do. as for the t case and tranny i have not experienced any problems and dont expect to until bigger engine and tires. i know everyone hates the 207 but what bad experiences has anyone had with the tranny, i blieve its an a/10 or 15 or somthin like that. i know they changed it and it was built by pugot but havent heard anything bad about it yet.

First -- I don't think everyone hates the 207, because very few of us even have it. It's no longer listed on New Venture's web site so I can't give you a strength comparison, but what I've been told is that it is essentially the same as the 231 but the low range is 2.6:1 instead of 2.72:1, and it doesn't have the internal oil pump. (The part about the oil pump is NOT confirmed).

Second, you do not have a Peugeot transmission, because that tranny (the BA-10/5) was introduced in 1987 and used only with the 4.0L engine. If you have an '86 2.8L with manual tranny, you probably have an AX-5 but it might be a T-5.

Third, in your first post you asked how critical is a tailshaft kit and you asked if they make one for the 207, then in your follow-up you said you already have it.

Please slow down and try to ask more specific questions, with the information we need to answer you. Throwing your whole life story into one paragraph is going to leave everyone confused. I know I am. We're here to help, but like Sgt. Friday in the old Dragnet series, we need the facts.

the axles that you have will most likely hold up for a while with the 2.8L engine, since it doesn't make much power. If you are going with big tires though you are not going to have any power till you regear lower. What tires are you planning to run.

As far as swaping in the 4.3L would probly just be ahead to get the gm trans to put behind it, then adapt that to a 231 (or heavier) case. A 350 or 400 auto would work nice, more durable than the 700r4 in my opinion.

Will be lots of time and money. You will most likely ending up spending twice the money on the conversion than you would upgrading to a 87+ 4.0 XJ and switching your stuff.

Bought my 89 for $500 and went wheeling.

Just curious...wouldn't it be easier to do a 3.4L swap from a mid 90's camaro?

From what I've seen/heard/read it is a direct swap w/o using adapters.

If you want a 4.3, i would just buy the whole drivetrain from a late model S-10. They have the CPI 4.3, a very stout 4L60E trans and 231 t-case that is stronger than any Jeep 231.

You could likely get the whole thing for about $2000.

Here's something I am curious about: If you hated your 6 inch lift before, what are you going to do to improve driveability at the planned 7.75" height? At that height, your front control arm angles are going to be hideous.

I don't want to discourage you, but safely running 8 inches of lift (and the related large tres) on an XJ is no cheap thrill. It takes a well thought out suspension design, a stout driveline, and a bunch of frame and chassis modifications. As you previously found, the results of just slapping on a 6 inch lift are usually not very good.

CRASH

The BA 10/5 and the Aisin AX-5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989. It was also used in Cherokees (XJ) and Comanches (MJ) with the 2.8L V6, 2.5L I4, and 4.0L I6 from their introduction until 1989. As for the t case I havent met a single person yet that likes the 207. I personally have no problems with it. I do not have a tailshaft kit but I do have the double cardan front driveshaft. my mistake on that one. as for rideablility i plan on puting some rancho rsx 9000s on. this is not my daily driver. if its warm ill be on my bike. my biggest worry is my engine blowing up before i have enough money for a new engine or my drivetrain blowing up when i swap engines. how would you get the tcase from a s10 to match up to the axel on a jeep? i havent looked into that. do you think the tranny will fit?

The part about the oil pump is NOT confirmed).

eagle,

I take it this is your release statement that prevents me from nailing you with spobi huh?

pretty sneaky there big guy.

I don't know 207's so yer safe from me anyway!

:D

Beezil said:
eagle,

I take it this is your release statement that prevents me from nailing you with spobi huh?

That's correct. When I'm just repeating what I've "heard," I try to make it clear that I don't know first-hand what I'm talking about. 'Course, sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about even when I think I do, but that's a different matter entirely.

goosecock said:
The BA 10/5 and the Aisin AX-5 were used in all Wranglers from 1987-mid 1989.

Yes, they were. They were also used in all manual tranny Cherokees from 1987 thru mid-89. However ...

(a) You don't have an '87, you have an '86

(b) The AX-5 was used with the 4-cylinder engines, and the BA-10/5 was used with the 4.0L. The bell housing bolt patterns are different, and they cannot be swapped from one engine to the other.

Therefore, you cannot have a Peugeot tranny on your '86 2.8L. You have either an AX-5 or a T-5.

The exploded drawing in the Haynes manual shows a oil pump in the 207.But it doesn,t show a pick-up tube like is in the 231.
Wayne

heres my .37 cents..... a 3.1 from a lumina or a corsica will sit right where your 2.8 is right now... not sure about brackets and accesories but the 3.1 is a direct replacement... another thought on the whole premise for your build up. do your self a favor and dont slap together a shoddy and maybe even unsafe package just for the sake of oneupsmanship... make a solid plan and take your time..... so you dont end up "all over the road" again... a solid 4.5 package will go anywhere the explorer goes... like neil said.. take some advice and make your own decision.. enjoy your XJ.....

Back