• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 for BadAss Rock Crawler?

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering how wide a Dana 60 out of a 1984 Dodge 350 Ram Van is? Is this a good axle to modify and put into the rear of a Cherokee BadAss Rock Crawler project? I'm considering front leaf springs and Dana 44 up front and Dana 60 rear, Cummins 5.9 TD engine and NV 4500 5 speed manual with a gear driven X-case in the middle.... The reason for asking this is the fact that i bought a Cherokee last night, and think this is the perfect mod-candidate

What do you think, boys? Is this gonna be cool or what?

Well, I think you are headed in the right direction, except for your choice of engine and front axle. A rig like you describe, with appropriatly sized tires, is going to weigh over 5,000 pounds, so if you want front axle durability, you will need a Dana 60 in front.

While no one doubts the HP/Torque attributes of a diesel, but they make for a poor crawling motor. First off, the throttle response of just about any diesel sucks. They are just flat out not made for blipping the throttle, and that technique can get you out of trouble, or over a ledge-type obstacle very quickly. I used to be a fan of diesel rigs, but after running around the forest with a diesel pickup, I can tell you they are not the ideal offroad motor.

Second problem with that particular diesel is going to be packaging. When I looked into swapping a 3.9 cummins, the height of the motor was going to be a show stopper. As it is, my track bar kisses the oilpan on my 4.0, and the Cummins is like 5.5" taller. Combine this with the aforementioned Dana 60 front, and you'll have about 2 inches of uptravel.

Have you actually priced a Cummins motor? A 3.9 was going to cost me about $4,500. While the 5.9 are a little less, they are still fairly pricey, especially Cummins Repower units.

Your rear axle is likely a 30 spline unit, but it may have spindles large enough to accept a 35 spline axle. Dodge changes stuff all the time, so it's hard to know the width for sure. I would guess it's about 65 inches.

Good choice on the NV4500, I love mine.

CRASH

Go for the Viper V10. It's only $6500.00 and 400 ft/lbs of torque!!

I don't know how cool front leafs are unless this thing is being pulled by horses and has wood spoked wagon wheels :)

But of course the XJ is a perfect (biased) candidate for a rock crawler!!

You'd have to change your name to dana60 then!!!

I passed on the covered wagon comment, because I wasn't sure if Dana44 would get the analogy, being from Norway and all.

CRASH

Thanks.
I've been thinking about the engine as well. The reason for even thinking off the Cummins Diesel is the fact that my dad has one in the garage, and it's for sale for a reasonable price. The front Dana 44 is the best option I've got at the moment, D60's don't grow on trees here in Norway, but I have found a couple rear D60's from Dodge's, and I think they are the best option in the rear of a project like this. There is the possibility of using the Ford 9" rear axle though, but they are pretty rare too.. I know I would be in better shape up front if I put another engine in the car than the Cummins, and I've been thinking of a 5.9 V8 from a Grand Cherokee. I've been in touch with the local junk yard, and they have a complete engine and wiring harness for that engine, and that's the best I can choose at the moment. If I chose the 5.9, it would be better for the D44 up front, right?

I think the 5.9 V8 is a great engine, and a better and cheaper choice than the Viper V10, that engine is way out of reach here in Norway, it would cost a small fortune!The 5.9 V8 comes with an automatic and x-case from the junk yard, but i would prefer the NV4500 instead, becouse that trans is bullet proof as hell, and they are relatively easy to get a hold on and simple to service and repair, so that's my choice of trans.

I would consider stroking and/or blowing a 4.0L HO motor I can buy from the same junk yard I'm gonna get the V8 from....

Thanks!
Arnt H

The 5.9 would be a much better choice from a packaging and driveability standpoint. The trans that comes behind the 5.9 is a very good automatic, and would hold up to a good flogging. An Atlas t-case will bolt right up to the ZJ automatic.

If you can keep the tire size down to 37 inches or so, you can do fine with a 44 front, stuffed with Warn or Superior axles and CTM U-joints. Wide tires are very hard on the 44 balljoints, so stay away from stuff like 38x 14.5" TSL's.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project......

CRASH

Hmmmm ...

Norway. Certainly near the North Atlantic. Does this mean Arnt would be a member of the North Atlantic Chapter of NAXJA if he joins?

The 5.9 is mine! I've talked to the junk yard, and I got a good price on the engine, trans and x-case. This is gonna be great!, I have to write an application to the road athorities here in Trondheim, and ask for permission for it tough, I want to use the car on public roads, so that's gonna be written today.

I have been thinking about using 36" tires, max, so I think and hope I'll be able to use the D44 without too many problems. TCM U-joints are extremely expensive in Norway, so I think I have to buy those from the US.

Yes I would be in the North Atlantic Chapter, but I have not joined yet. I'll be coming over this summer when visiting relatives in New York and Boston, and I'll be buying lots of parts for my car then....

Arnt H

Neil said:
Go for the Viper V10. It's only $6500.00 and 400 ft/lbs of torque!!

Ya man Its ONLY! 6500 dollars. hey neil lets see you fork that mulla up for a motor. :D

You can get SBC for around 3-4K that has more than 400ft/lb

I dont know about you guys but I would like build a rig with the least amount of money possible that has the most structural function possible, not the WOW factor or the Bling Bling factor, I think putting a Desiel in your rig is what about 99% wow factor for a trail rig.... Well thats jus tme. I kinda have this thing called a budget, I know alot of peeps on this board really dont know what that means but... But hey its your money and whatver floats your boat.

Just my .02

someone makes an oilpan that is rear sump and has a cutout in the pan to fit a dana 60 in the front of an xj with a smallblock in it.. thats what i'll be doing.. the oilpan is clearanced perfect for it.. just thought i'd share

Back