• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to remove cross bars on my roof rack

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellas...I have a 92 Laredo with the factory roof rack. I need to take the cross bars off the rack, but not sure how on this one. On my other 92, the roof rack rails are "flat" and you simply screw the rack off the base, just as you would loosen the cross bars to move them. On this 92, you have a push button that allow you to move the cross bars, and the rail is more of a "triangular" shape than flat. Surely someone out there has one like this? Thanks up front.

If they are the same as my rack...

For each crossbar, at each end of the underside of crossbar there is a screw that holds to the triangular sliding piece. Remove both screws. Then, slide one 'triangle' forward, and the other to the back. The crossbar should come right out.

Lou said:
If they are the same as my rack...

For each crossbar, at each end of the underside of crossbar there is a screw that holds to the triangular sliding piece. Remove both screws. Then, slide one 'triangle' forward, and the other to the back. The crossbar should come right out.

Obviously this guy is confused. :rolleyes:

roofrail.JPG

As you can see the rail endcap has 2 barbs(B) that snap into the actual rail. You need to lift the rail about 3/16" away from the roof to be able to snap these out. That means that you will need to loosen 2-3? bolts(A) that hold the rail down. Once you've removed the endcap(s), the crossbar assembly can be slid out.

roofrail2.JPG

If you want to leave the Triangle pieces than this is it.
Remove the screws from the under side of the cross pieces at C (both sides), then move one triangle forward and the cross piece could come out.

If you want to remove the whole thing than do what Lou says in his second post.

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
Remove the screws from the under side of the cross pieces at C (both sides), then move one triangle forward and the cross piece could come out.

Daryl
It's been a few years since I pulled mine, but that's kind of how I remember it, although there may have been a screw holding the crosspiece in as well. If not, then it's as described above.

JEONLYEP said:
roofrail2.JPG

Daryl

That granite roof is totally sick, dude!! Must make the XJ awfully top-heavy.

Back