• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sensors? (knock sensor)

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
well, i read the haynes manual and says its located on the side of the block for some models (knock sensor)

i have a '89 4.0L

i went to autozone today to go get one... they said it was unavailable for my Jeep

i pulled my motor out and broke w/e sensor this is .... its located on the driver side of the block

there are actually 2 sensors, one is really close to the oil pan, and one is just in the middle of the block

im really confused on this, could some one help me out? ill take a pic soon

One sensor is knock sensor the other is a temp sensor.

Autozone does not carry it. The Kragen family of auto parts stores does. This includes Advance Auto Parts and Checker.

Niehoff Ignition AL1209

Last edited:
JVRacer04 said:
yes, but why did autozone say it was unavailable for my jeep? i need one
Perhaps Autozone just meant that they don't sell it not that your Jeep doesn't use it.

none of the vendors that autozone uses supplies them with the part. this does not mean they can not get the part without jumping through some hoops... one option i know they have is they can send an electronic complaint for "loss of sale" from the computer the guy was looking the parts up for you at. this goes back to their home offices and tells them someone is looking for that part and they lost a sale because they did not stock the part, it wasn't available to them, or they were out of stock, or did not carry the number of items the customer was looking for. the person at the counter you spoke with was most likely saying they are unable to get the part... which just means they dont currently stock the part or it is a dealer item only.
If need be go back to the same autozone and ask to speak with the Store Manager. Nothing against their lower management, but you want the Store Manager and not one of the other managers. Have him do what was mentioned above... and have him contact their district manager and see if they can bend some strings to get the part.

Last edited:
I got my knock sensor at the dealer for my 88 XJ. Chrysler changed the design but the sensor comes with the instructions. It tells you to use red loc-tite and to torque the nut holding the sensor on to something like 13 ft lbs.. so make sure you have a torque wrench.

P1010094_800x600.jpg

so the sensor that is down and to the left from the knock sensor is a temp sensor?

Back