• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vent Windows

Wiley Coyote

NAXJA Forum User
The other day while I was messing around I saw an older Cherokee with functional vent windows. I’m guessing that it had to be a pre ’91 because it had a 4.0 emblem, NOT a 4.0 HO. I have a ’91 and would like to put the older style vent windows in it. Does anybody know what years they came on and if they will fit/work in the newer XJs? Before I catch any flames, I have done several searches, but can’t find a good answer.

I have a 90 and an 87 both with the vent windows. Not sure what all the years they were availible on but they will work on yours.

Mike

They were optional on my '88 Pioneer. I paid extra for them, they leaked from Day One, and the factory "fix" was to offer to replace them ... with stationary windows. I kept the vents and I keep them sealed up with Sil-Glyde (silicone grease), but I haven't opened them in more than ten years.

You can put them in yours, but unless you're absolutely certain you'll use them I don't think it's worth the bother.

Agree with Eagle. Even when mine were new they still had some wind noise and now my '90 is at 14 years old it's worse. I did what Eagle did and haven't used the vent window in years.
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Besides, if you do find a vent window, it will probably be at least 10 years old and have a bad seal.

I like them and use them, because I don't have functional air conditioning. But they do leak, and it's hard to find a good set at the junkyard. Aside from the seal issue, the pivot mechanism at the bottom can come loose. When that happens, the window just flops and won't stay open. So if you're determined to get a boneyard set, proceed with care.

If you look at one out of the door, you'll see that staked to the bottom frame of the movable glass is a pivot post, which goes through the outer frame and ends with a nut. There's a stiff spring between the nut and the outer frame to provide drag to hold the window open. Do not take one if there is any play in the mounting of the post to the movable glass frame.

Thanks for the info guys. Is there any chance of getting a new set through the dealer or a reproduction place like Crown? I have to agree with you on pulling one from a junkyard. A 10-year-old leaky window seal is not going to cut it.

Just someone else who doesn't like them, my buddy had them on his 87 XJ and the bottom had come loose and was all rusty, I did use them to get some fresh air but I'm glad mine doesn't have them, it looks cleaner too. I wish I had full windows with a movable or sealed vent window.

Just an FYI, I have them on my '92. I don't know what year they stopped offering them.

About two years ago I priced the vent windows at my local dealership, so at that time they were still available. Just be aware that they are very expensive now. After Jeep discontinued the XJ, the price more than tripled.....at least at my dealership.

i like them because my trail rig has no A/C.. bear in mind that the power accesory panels are in direct line with any leakage, as are the door speakers... also they make awesome mud "scoops" if you blast thru a mughole in reverse... they grab HUGE chunks of flying debris and introduce it into your interior.. (being a show-off presents it drawbacks from time to time.. :gag: ) they are really not worth the efort to replace them unless you get new ones and do not have A/C...

One more down side. On the drivers side they hinder the side view mirror a little. I like having vents but will eventually opt for one piece windows.

Good Wheeling,
Cherokid

Back