• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I change my power steering fluid?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to search, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I have an '01 4.0L. Could anyone detail the process of changing the power steering fluid in a late model XJ?

nosajwp said:
I tried to search, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I have an '01 4.0L. Could anyone detail the process of changing the power steering fluid in a late model XJ?

Don't know about detailing the process but basically you can either siphon it out, fill, run for 10 seconds, siphon, fill, run again, siphon and fill 3x which should get all the old stuff out and new stuff in or disconnect the return line, point it into a container and start the engine up. Start pouring in the new juice and watch till the new stuff comes out into the container. That method takes two people, communication skills :D, but ensures the total removal of the old stuff but is more work to unbolt, move the hose to a good position, do the work and rebolt it up again checking for leaks.. Somewhere out on the net I saw PS fluid in different colors just like brake fluid but don't remember where, the color makes it real easy to see the difference from old to new.

I just disconnected the upperhose and let the fluid from the pump housing drip into a pan in my garage, repeated a few times w/Mobil 1.

I think the FSM called for a very expensive mopar ps fluid, but then my Jeep parts manager said dc said regular tranny fluid is now fine.

Be careful though. I did it the sloppy way and disconnected at the pump, some of the fluid hit the exhaust manifold and caused a VERY brief flash fire. cool...

Mike/NY #300

The manual for my '96 specifically says NOT to use ATF. There's no reason you need MOPAR power steering fluid, any name brand PS fluid will be fine.

Back