• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new rear axle ?'s/opinions

steveVA

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to get a new rear axle for my XJ,, I really want to order it complete, with discs, and a locker,, I have 33's now, but plan to go bigger,, I was wondering if a d44 is good enough, or should I just get a d60 while Im at it,, also I was going to get a electric locker put in it also,, does anyone know the best place to get this setup??
thanks

If you plan to go above 36's I would do a 60 or a warmed 9" (31+ spline ) - 44 would work but you would be in the "when; not if it fails category"

Matt

35's max

i dont really plan on going any bigger than 35's .....i don't think??

D60 hangs low, but can be shaved. You can buy some killer low or high pinion center sections from Dynatrac. Ford 9" is lighter with better clearance even without shaving. The standard low pinion is pretty low, but can be upgraded with the Currie high pinion centersection at a later date if you choose.
I have a non-shaved D60 with a detroit, 35 spline shafts and explorer discs from DTS in Detroit for about $2200 not including shipping. It's 3 years old with about 50k miles on it and no complaints yet. Hangs kind of low for 33's but oh well.
If you are going for a whole new axle, don't waste your time on a D44. For a relatively few dollars more you can get a lot of peace of mind.
mattk

Back