• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Rear Making a Clunking sound

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
Has anyone else experienced this? My fiance was complaining about a clunking sound coming from the rear of her 2000 XJ, automatic with 40,000 miles. When she was just about stopped, and applying the brakes slightly, the rear end makes this clunk. I jacked it up and pulled the wheels off, and as you spin one side (open diff, 3.55 gears) with the vehicle in park so it is not spinning the driveshaft, the axles do not spin smoothly. I am wondering if there is a problem with the spider gears, or a bearing inside? Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to remove the rear cover and check it out, but I am hoping someone can prep me on what to expect to find.

Thanks,

Andy

I did do a search and located that thread, but I disconnected the driveshaft and still had the clunking sound when I spun one wheel (the other wheel spinning in opposite as an open diff is supposed to operate.)

Any ideas?

Andy

Back