• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Idel then stall

2wdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Befor I get started I did the search and found simular situations but Im still not sure.

The other day comming home from work my xj died like somebody turned off the key. I still had dash light just no motor. The last time this happend it was the CPS. I did find some burn throughs on the wire so I replaced the wire and not the censer. now it will turn over and idle and then stall after about a minute.Try to give it gass and it just dies either way.
I thought it was the fuel system so I replaced the pump, filter and regulater and still have the same problem. I have had most of the censers checked and still the same problem. I cleaned the TB and checked all connectos to the cencers and EGR and the ground wires as well. The only thing I can think of is that the short in the wire to the CPS killed the censer it self or maybe its the modual inside the distributer. What do you guys think? TIA

2wdxj said:
Befor I get started I did the search and found simular situations but Im still not sure.

The other day comming home from work my xj died like somebody turned off the key. I still had dash light just no motor. The last time this happend it was the CPS. I did find some burn throughs on the wire so I replaced the wire and not the censer. now it will turn over and idle and then stall after about a minute.Try to give it gass and it just dies either way.
I thought it was the fuel system so I replaced the pump, filter and regulater and still have the same problem. I have had most of the censers checked and still the same problem. I cleaned the TB and checked all connectos to the cencers and EGR and the ground wires as well. The only thing I can think of is that the short in the wire to the CPS killed the censer it self or maybe its the modual inside the distributer. What do you guys think? TIA

*sometimes* when the cps goes bad you can unplug it, clean the connections out, wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in, that seems to reset someting and the cps may work again for a short period of time, one or two starts. Might want to try it, won't cost anything. It's a last ditch thing for when it dies at a light or in parking lot....

When you replaced the wire, did you use crimps or solder. My CPS rubbed/burnt through on the manifold. CPS tested good, close to 200 ohms resitance and had a nice pulse when tested with an ohm meter (analoge/needle type), while cranking. I crimped the wires together and got kind of sporatic results, after soldering the wires together it worked fine.
I´m thinking soon, I´m gonna run the wires straight to the ECU, bypassing much of the harness and connectors.
Eagle says there is a kit for this, OEM, from the dealer, that´s not real expensive.
Last time my XJ crapped out (just died), it was a loose MAP sensor plug. Time before that (it ran but really bad), it was the vacuum line plug for the MAP at the throttle body.
Open up the cable protector at the back of the fuel rail, take a good look at the wires. Look close for wires fatigued, inside the insulation and/or chaffing. There is a bullitine for this, in early XJ´s. I´ve found wires, that were fatigued inside the insulation, you can feel it when you bend the wire and/or see the very small cracks in the insulation. Really have to look close, with a strong light.
Most anytime my motor dies at idle, I plug the EGR vacuum line at the transducer for the valve. Just to eliminate this as a possible cause.
Take a close look at the wires at the front of the fuel rail that go under the motor. They often get burnt on the exhaust manifold. O2 sensor, knock sensor and temp. sender for the computer are down there.

I had a 88 XJ and had the same problem. It was finally solved when I changed the Idle air controller. It was a $60 part but I had 150,000 miles on the vehicle. That solved the problem.

Since you have a clean throttle body try the IAC, they do wear out. When you let off the gas the engine computer goes into decel mode and the IAC is in play. The IAC is not in play when you are in cruise mode or acceleration mode.

I went through a sensor replacement program, change out on every pay check and over time renewed the engine sensors. The XJ ran better and I am sold on doing it for any vehicle 10+ years old.

Just want to thank everybody for the help. Im going to use all the advice given. 8mud.. I solderd the wires, I always do I learned a hard lesson a long time ago. as for the IAC I wasnt able to check that so I will replace that and see what happends.

well your simptoms sound similar to my TPS(throttle position sensor) problem that i had a while back. scary stuff. might see if that will help. aparently its a common thing - the TPS going bad

Back