• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trail rig build

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
new guy here with many questions

First, I acquired a 1989 XJ that had been burnt up(engine fire) and had no title, but still had some good parts underneath it.

Second, I have only been offroading in my daily driver(1991 Geo Metro) but never in a capable 4wd rig.

Third, I want to build a multipurpose/trail rig and this is what I have to work with:
XJ: d30 3.55 front, (2)d35 3.55 rears, AW4, np231, np207
Chevy: d44 6 lug 3.73 front, np205,
Dodge: d35 3.55, 360, (2)318's, (2)189 slant 6's, np435 married to np203,(2)727's, Skyjacker 5" lift leaf springs.
Warn XD9000 winch
More square tubing and pipe than I know what to do with

The only problem I have is that the XJ is already beyond repair and the only titled vehicle I have to work with a 1988 Geo metro. Is it possible to build a tube frame under the geo using the XJ front suspension, the skyjackers in rear and one of the drivetrains mentioned above to have a usable trail rig?
If so, can the np205 mentioned above be rebuilt for a drivers side drop?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I have only about $150 to work with and my parents(yes, I'm only 16) will not let me get any more vehicles regardless of if I get rid of any. Any help is apriciated.

You need to think about selling the metro, gutting all the pieces that are usuable from the burnt XJ and buy another 89-90' Xj to work with. I got my 90 for $700 and I think if your metro isnt too tore up, you could get that much. Making a 4wd Metro is a serious project that even experienced fabrication shops would think twince about.

If the metro runs, I'd say just hold off until you CAN get an XJ. If it doesn't run, do it! That would be an impressive build, if you can even get it to work out.....
What about not even using the metro body and just making a tube buggy? You said you've got tons of tube anyway!

if you want to do the GEO you are better off building a chassis under it and doing YJ leaf springs and full width axles.. you havent really given any indication about your actual fabrication abilities.. i like the XJ drivetrain in the GEO idea.. different and twisted.. i know a bunch of guys who do samurais and geos.. those little rigs take a lot of work to make them capable but when they are set up right they are really cool.. take on an easier project first so you can get out on the trails.. then take on a big GEO build-up....

Sounds pretty interesting to me. If you are serious, PM Brett Jensen, he goes by Island XJ on this board. He has a late 70's honda civic with an all XJ drivetrain and 32's. Its funny lookin, but capable so far...
Beej.

$150 tube chassis? That is going to be some sweet Stove Pipe....
your only 16, go to school and build a trail rig when you have a full time job and more resources. At 29, I am just getting around to it, and it has finally become a great stress reliever to work on it when I want and as money allows. having a DD and a dry garage to store it while I work on it is great. I have build things in the past with out any of this and the projects became my source of stress.... dont bother with the Geo, after its done, it will still be a Geo....

Sell the metro, then go buy an engine out of a wrecked xj with the lowest possible miles and drop it in. once you get it running everything else is just cosmetic.
Ludakris said:
having a DD and a dry garage to store it while I work on it is great
designated trail rigs are for sissys. :moon:
If you really want to do the metro, I would swap in d60 and run 7.76's because that 3 banger gonna need all the gearing you can get.

I smell a troll. :D

CW said:
Sell the metro, then go buy an engine out of a wrecked xj with the lowest possible miles and drop it in. once you get it running everything else is just cosmetic.designated trail rigs are for sissys. :moon:
If you really want to do the metro, I would swap in d60 and run 7.76's because that 3 banger gonna need all the gearing you can get.

hey, if I lived in Idaho, I would drive crazy trail junk on the road everyday...

Back