• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gibson Exhaust

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody tried this company's system for the Cherokee? I now am almost in need of a new exhuast, the O.E. system isn't going to go much further as it is tarting to rattle. My questions are; has anybody has used this system on an XJ with a trailer hitch, and what did you do to get it to fit, how loud is it from the inside of the truck, this thing is a family cruiser and I don't need it too loud or obvious and the manufacturer claimed 2-4 dbl difference won't be too bad to me, and finally what did it end up costing you for the system (for either the stainless or the aluminized). Thanks guys!

Have had the aluminized since 99. I like it because it doesn't resonate inside the cab, all the sounds comes out the back. I didn't have a hitch on back when I installed it, so I didn't realize there was a problem with it then. I went wheeling one time and smashed up the pretty stainless tip. :p I cut the end off and after putting the hitch on I cut the pipe off about halfway down the gas tank. It's at leas out of the way now. :D

Back then I paid about $250 for the cat-back. I'm now selling the things and it seems to be the going rate for them. The cans are still thick as hell on them and I can tell you mine has taken a huge beating on the trails. Scratches on it but hardly any denting. I've been impressed with the cat-back that I'm getting ready to put the stainless header on soon.

I love it.
Once you beat that big, honkin' can flat with a few rocks, the clearance is almost acceptable.
Mine has some small holes, lots of dents, and still sounds better than anything I have ever heard on a 4.0.
HTH.

I have a Gibson cat-back. Not that loud from the cab. And I had no problems with my factory hitch.

The only problem I had was the section of pipe that goes over the axle was barely touching the gas tank skid, making a racket. I went down to the local muffler shop and they fixed the problem by cutting out a piece of pipe after the cat and welding it back up.

my response is pretty much the same as ECKSJAY. Mine is about four years old and I beat on it regularly. so far, no problems. nice sound too.

Thanks guys! I've also got an e-mail into another Turbo Chrysler enthusiast who installed one of these systems on his wife's '97, and I'm waiting to hear from him too. What did you guys do with your 3" tailpipe with the hitch? What skid plate did you have on the on your's Johnny?, I still have the basic factory one on mine.

i got it, and i think the muffler hangs down too low..., as for the 3" back, i cut mine back a little cuz it got in the way of my leaf springs

brandon

Joe,

I have a factory gas tank skid. I guess I could have ground down the gas tank skid a bit, but it was easier just to go to the muffler shop.

I'm a noob here, but anywho. hehe.. I've been thinking about the Gibson catback along with the Dynomax cat back for my 99. Very little off road use so clearance shouldn't be much of an issue, just a little more concerned with how it sounds. From what ya'll have said, it seems like its not bad from inside, but what about outside? I don't want anything obxoniously loud. I hate cars that make all this noise when they step on them, but when you turn around to look for a car flying past at what sounds like Mach 3, you see its actually going by at about 15 mph. lol

Any exhaust clips/pic of the Gibson exhaust?

Back