• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in passenger side footwell

soccerdude

NAXJA Forum User
I recently acquired a 1998 Cherokee Limited and noticed a large amount of water pooling inside the passenger side footwell after the last rain storm. I have seen some posts here about the seal around the blower motor where it attaches to the firewall leaking. This appears to be where mine is leaking. Has anyone had any success with reparing this and have any instructions?

Thanks!

There is another common problem that occurs. Running the AC. The drain gets clogged around the cooling core. If you run the defrosters when it rains, the AC is used to pull the humidity out of the air, and hence the water. Rust out of the passengers side floor because of this is a VERY common problem with XJ's.

Do a search and you will find lots of good writeups on unclogging the drain.

If you have an aftermarket radio antenna, you might like to check the rubber grommet that seals the area where the wire runs from the antenna into the cabin - behind the right front passenger kick panel. I had the exact same symptoms, and after a lot of checking (running the hose over the front window etc....), I found it to be leaking b/c the rubber grommet was not seated correctly.

The fix ? Like dothedew, I just used some window sealant, and it hasn't leaked since.

Hope this helps,

Quarterwave

I know, I know: this thread's ancient history, but it fits the bill perfectly.

I've got the old puddling problem too, and have a question about the defrosters. My A/C has never worked, but would running the normal demist/ defrost (far right setting) cause condensing in the tubes, even if the A/C isn't working?

I've fixed the grommet for the aerial, but have noticed that water is coming down the edge of the passenger doorframe, so I'm thinking that my next step is to check for a poor seal on the windshield, and while I'm looking at it check for corrosion around the frame - does this sound reasonable?

I'll second Old_Man on that one. Check the A/C lines.

I had the old puddle on the passenger side floor too. Turned out to be the seal between the blower motor and firewall. Pulled out the blower motor and RTVed it. Dry floor now :)

My police dpet. has nothing but XJ's and new grand chero's. Every single one we have had has leaked somewhere, almost all of them different. The two 04's have both leaked around the rear hatch.....Why isnt DC can't make a vehicle that doesnt leak somewhere errrr! On my personal rig it's a 1988 XJ, got tired of tracking down leaks and just herculined the inside floor pans, insert drain plugs, and that solves it for me.

I have had the same problem awhile back. I gave up trying to find it. So I pulled all the carpet out and put down herculiner all over front and rear. I still get water though. it getrs soo bad that it gets about three inches deep with a heavy rain. Now I know where to look.

the problem im having it the pass side floor's all the way to the rear hatch along the rear hatch line its soaking wet. ive been told theres plugs underneath i might have ripped off when i was muddin.sorry to hijack im just curious.

Sean

XJ4Roks said:
the problem im having it the pass side floor's all the way to the rear hatch along the rear hatch line its soaking wet. ive been told theres plugs underneath i might have ripped off when i was muddin.sorry to hijack im just curious.

Sean
Im having a similar problem too. My hatch floor is wet on the passenger side right next to the hatch door. any ideas?

Hey there,
had the same problem and it was the factory ant. was'nt tightened enough from the factory. tightened it up and have'nt had a problem since..
Later,
Frank

Problems I have had or heard of people having w/ leaks
-antenna rubber grommet in passenger footwell
-blower motor
-windshield
-someone said that where the rear seat holder attaches can give a hairline crack and let in water, thus the reason for the rear leak

Kellen

Quarterwave said:
If you have an aftermarket radio antenna, you might like to check the rubber grommet that seals the area where the wire runs from the antenna into the cabin -

I found it to be leaking b/c the rubber grommet was not seated correctly.

The fix ? Like dothedew, I just used some window sealant, and it hasn't leaked since.

Hope this helps,

Quarterwave

Does anyone know of what the antenna rubber grommet in passenger footwell is supposed to look like when seated properly??

i found water coming in through mine.

i just started packing it with silicone.

I found out why my floors where getting wet, but it had nothing to do with bad seals or anything like that, but from my shoes, after a day of wheelin' I would forget to dump the water out before jumping back in! ahaha

Jeff

Back