• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub and Rotor Clearence

ctavel

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished installing new hubs on my new old axle. The axle is an 86 with 4.10s, and the hubs I installed were from TAPCO. The previous hubs on the axle were from a TJ and thus used TJ rotors and the stock calipers for propper clearence with the steering knuckle.

Well, the new hubs, after inspection with the new hubs installed we found that they were about an 1/8-1/4 shorter in overall length. So the TJ rotors rub on the knuckle when the wheel is torqued down. This pressure is so intense that the wheels are locked and the vechicle cannot roll, even when give gas. We then tried my old 91 rotors from the 91 axle, and while they didn't rub as much, they still rubbed on the knuckle.

So my question is, to those with experiance, will the stock rotors off am 86 have enough clearence to allow the vehicle to roll? I really need to get the Jeep moving, so any information would be great.

TIA

Hub and rotor must match from year group to year group.

Just like you used TJ hub AND TJ rotors.

XJs have year groups (example 84 to 89) Hub and rotors must go together.

There are different hub sizes which correlate to rotor size.

This will solve your problem. Just make sure hub and rotor are from the same years.

hinkley

I ran into this when changing the hubs on my '99.

If you're running XJ hubs and XJ rotors, you'll be fine. If you're running TJ hubs and TJ rotors, then you'll be fine. Any other combination, forget it.

With the *possible* exception of late model full-cast XJ rotors, you gotta change the rotor if you're changing the hub.

As you've obviously found out, the hat depth is different for TJ and XJ rotors. More specifically, one-piece cast rotors vs. two-piece composite have different hat depths.

IIRC, the hub to use for 1-piece cast rotors is 53007449AC, whereas the composite rotor hub is 53007449. If you know what your hubs came off, It'll be way easier and cheaper to find the rotor that fits, instead of hunting down another set of hubs.

Last edited:
Well see the problem lies that I tried to use an rotor from a 91, and the hat-depth (thanks for the term) was still to much. The problem lies in the fact that the knuckles for the 86 are a different style then the later model 30's-- and if I'm going to change knuckles than I may as well go to the GC ones, but I really don't want to get into that now.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll update yall when I find a working combination.

So for those keeping track, the 86 rotors afforded me the proper clearence with the knuckle. The nteresting aspect though is that the rotors and hubs are not from matching year sets. The rotors are, as stated before, from an 86 and the hubs are 90-96. So, its an interesting combination, but it rolls and stops-- so it works for me

You can get a wheel spacer from a tire shop or Pep Boys and install it behind the rotor hat. I carry them for just this purpose so I don't get stuck on the trail with someone who has a spare axle/hub that doesn't match their rotor. I've bailed out a number of people with exactly your situation. The right solution is still to match the hub and rotor like Hinkley said, but the wheel spacer will work.

Back