• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff cleaning

Dan1990XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm going to be taking the covers off of the differentials and cleaning them out soon. This will probally be the first time they have been cleaned on this jeep; It now has 126,000 on the odometer. I have read the posts and my FSM and have a good idea on how to do it, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Brake clean and rags. Probably 2 cans per diff.

do yo ujus spray the brake cleaner in there and try to whipe it clean? Or should you like spray it out with the hose and let it dry or anything? Also as with alot of trucks I see out there, there is a little seepage on the fill plug on mine, could I wrap the threads with a little teflon plumbers tape to help with that?

Thanks
Chris

O.T. If I can use plumbers tape on the driff drain could I use it on the oil pan drain?

I just hose the pumpkin out with brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner, let it all drip out, and then let the solvent drip out. Then, I'll drip some clean gear oil on everything before I put it all back together.

You can use teflon tape or pipe dope on plugs, which is what I usually do.

I just hose it all down - I'm not wild about using a rag and getting lint and crud in there. The most I'll go in with a rag is to wipe out the bottom of the case if there's a lot of sludge and crud down there, and that saves on solvents. Apart from that, your main goal is to get rud of sludge, metal bits, and any varnish or contamination you might find.

5-90

5-90 said:
I just hose the pumpkin out with brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner, let it all drip out, and then let the solvent drip out. Then, I'll drip some clean gear oil on everything before I put it all back together.

You can use teflon tape or pipe dope on plugs, which is what I usually do.

I just hose it all down - I'm not wild about using a rag and getting lint and crud in there. The most I'll go in with a rag is to wipe out the bottom of the case if there's a lot of sludge and crud down there, and that saves on solvents. Apart from that, your main goal is to get rud of sludge, metal bits, and any varnish or contamination you might find.

5-90

thats pretty much what i do.. i put some new gear oil in a small oil squirt bottle and shoot a bunch of it in everty corner and especially up toward the pinion bearing area.. just to make sure all the residual solvents are flushed... then let it all drip out and wipe the bottom inside just before i put the cover back on.. NEVER spray water into your housing...

You probably figured this out, but take a papertowel or rag and wipe the bottom of the diff before rinsing everything out. Take a good look at what type of crud is there. That will go a long ways about telling you the status on the mechanicals. There will always be a little super finely ground metal in the bottom due to normal wear and tear. Anything more and you may have issues. I've seen lots of guys put a magnet in the housing. It captures the minute metal particles as they wear off and that way they don't just keep working their way though the bearings and gear surfaces, adding to the wear.

Back