• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/Ts or GY MTRs??? 33x12.50 flavor...

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the market to buy some new tires. i need 33x12.50R15s. the bfgs and the goodyears are of similar pricing. from your experiences, which tire has the best treadlife and snow traction. i dont plan on wheeling tooo much this winter, but i do often in the summer, so i would like a decent mud tire. thanks

Jeezus.
Search button, please.
There are about 3920 threads comparing these tires.
No offense, but this thread is a waste of time.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Jeezus.
Search button, please.
There are about 3920 threads comparing these tires.
No offense, but this thread is a waste of time.
HTH.

try searching for BFG M/t and Goodyear MTR. do you know how many threads contain those words??

Go with the MTR if they are priced about the same, even if the MTR is a little bit more like it mostly likely is. The MTR does good in all, but the muddy stuff where it does tend to get caked in mud. The MTR is also extremely quite on the street and I think it does drive better on the street and obviously off-road than the BFG MT.
Troy

redyouch said:
try searching for BFG M/t and Goodyear MTR. do you know how many threads contain those words??
I didn't, but I do now.
I just see it all the time.
Both of the tires are solid choices.
I used to run MTRs, but switched to BFG MTs this year, so we shall see.
The MTRs have a thicker sidewall, and are far less prone to puncture.
Neither are for shit in rain, but the MTRs are a bit better in snow, especially after the tread wears in.
Consider the TRXus MT.
It has a great reputation in rain, snow, mud, sand, and they don't completely suck on rocks.
We are talking MT tires here, so the treadwear difference is gonna be minimal.
I wheel in the Midwest, so the BFG MT was a good choice for me.
YMMV.

bgcntry72 said:
I didn't, but I do now.
I just see it all the time.
Both of the tires are solid choices.
I used to run MTRs, but switched to BFG MTs this year, so we shall see.
The MTRs have a thicker sidewall, and are far less prone to puncture.
Neither are for shit in rain, but the MTRs are a bit better in snow, especially after the tread wears in.
Consider the TRXus MT.
It has a great reputation in rain, snow, mud, sand, and they don't completely suck on rocks.
We are talking MT tires here, so the treadwear difference is gonna be minimal.
I wheel in the Midwest, so the BFG MT was a good choice for me.
YMMV.

I second the Trxus. I love the MT/R's, but the Trxus are a great combo of MT and AT. A lot of siping for great wet, snow/rainy conditions, do much better in the mud that MT/R's, quieter than both BFG and MT/R, and usually cheaper than both. I feel many times more comfortable driving in the rain/snow with the Trxus than the MT/R's. The MT/R's have a much stronger sidewall and are lighter than the Trxus.

if your gonna be inthe mud get bfg's and search next time, might take a few tries, but you will probably get what you need.

this IS an awfully large site to do a search on 33x12.50s. Maybe im just lazy, but i probably wouldve just made a thread too. Sorry.

I think, personally, the MTR is better on the rocks due to its' compound, and also does better on the snow/ice (i live in alaska, it snows for about 6 months here) due to the design and small amount of siping incorporated into them. However, the BFG's seem to last longer on the pavement, and will do noticeably better in the mud and soft stuff. (still not great, but decent) It's kind of a toss up. Depends on the weather/climate where your gonna be wheeling.

Ramsey said:
if your gonna be inthe mud get bfg's and search next time, might take a few tries, but you will probably get what you need.
ha ha ha ha ha Ramsey - calling someone lazy for not searching...

see - annother what should i buy thread....

I'd say...just pick one. You can't go terribly wrong with either tire.

I've been running 31" BFG MTs, and have had absolutely no complaints in any terrain.

I'll soon be moving up to 33" tires, and I want to go with the MTRs. Why? Just because I've heard they are good tires and I want to see for myself. And change is good.

sorry this is kinda off key but...does anybody ever think that almost every subject or topic of an xj has been covered to some extent on this website?? if everybody already knows everything why do we keep posting?? just a thought i see this quite often and it really chaps my A$$! sorry, i should have done my search first!

schaff90xj said:
sorry this is kinda off key but...does anybody ever think that almost every subject or topic of an xj has been covered to some extent on this website?? if everybody already knows everything why do we keep posting?? just a thought i see this quite often and it really chaps my A$$! sorry, i should have done my search first!
You should start a thread in the Off Topic forum if you want real answers. You have a good point.

XJ_ranger said:
ha ha ha ha ha Ramsey - calling someone lazy for not searching...

see - annother what should i buy thread....
wahtever - someone gave me bad rep for not being a member. I paid VIA paypal on October 23 and have e-mailed the membership director 4 times since then and still nothing. Thank you, i am a member... You jerk

Okie Terry said:
You should start a thread in the Off Topic forum if you want real answers. You have a good point.

The REAL answer is half of this forum is full of kids craving attention.
Too damn naive and hard headed to use the search, as its easier to type a few lines of what you want than it is to read through multiple threads looking for their answer.

Of course they don't respect the fact that others use this forum and have to sift through the crap they post, to find some decent, and interesting tech.

These kids post these threads on multiple forums to give themselves a little something extra to read.

Where is that "how to post on a forum" vid when you need it.

:rolleyes:

Back