• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slave cylinder prob's (sorry long) ax15

BLINGN XJ

NAXJA Forum User
On the way to work my clutch pedal fell to the floor. Some smoke came out from under the jeep. It was so quick that it felt like a hose fell off. When I got under it there is one hose comming out of the bellhousing that has a steel type male-female union that is connected. Then there is a steel line with a nipple with no rubber hose on it. I am pretty sure there is a pressure and return right? That should be connected right? It would be much cheaper replaceing a line unstead of a 180.00 clutch/slave? Thanks for your help guys again this site is the best!

Unfortunately, no. The line with the nipple on it is the bleeder, and isn't connected to anything at it's end. Is your clutch master empty? If you have fluid dripping out of the bottom of the tranny from the inspection plate area, I'd say your slave just bit the dust. But, you did mention the smoke....maybe the line blew out somewhere between the master and the tranny (and brake fluid hit the exhaust) Trace the line back up from where it enters the bell and look for damage.
HTH,
Jeff

what year is the jeep? from a particular year on the clutch is one piece system: you buy the slave and master and line all already setup and tehre is no way that I know of to separate them.

89 should be seperate pieces. Bleed it like brakes.

i agree, it sounds like the line, look right about the point where the exhust doghnut gasket is, or was :laugh3: , where the exhaust manifold and the downpipe come together. Mine went just like you described, the gasket burned out and directed hot exhaust onto the rubber line and melted it.

Rev

Last edited:
thanks for the great info! gives me some source to go by. I have been reading some posts and man what a job! There goes my weekend least it wasnt on the trail.

Kejtar said:
what year is the jeep? from a particular year on the clutch is one piece system: you buy the slave and master and line all already setup and tehre is no way that I know of to separate them.

Actually, though Jeep would like you to believe that this is true, you can indeed buy a slave cylinder separately. The line connection is not conventional, using some kind of trick union with a cross pin in it, but my son was able to get a separate slave cylinder for his 96. We ended up not putting it in because I judged that it wasn't needed (he had a Jetta before, and it's taking him a little time to get used to a clutch/tranny system that drags a little even when it's all right). The original setup, as well as the replacement he got, comes with a tapped but undrilled bleeder hole and no actual bleeder. I have no idea whether or not you can also get the line itself separately. The whole system seems to be designed to frustrate owners and confound mechanics.

Well the jeep gods were with me and it was just the hose. Just like you guys said. Is there anything to cover this so the heat doesnt affect it again kind of like header wrap? And do I bleed this from the clutch master or from the slave cylinder hose?

Back