• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditching the Pro Comp?

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. New here but not new to wheeling. About 7 years ago I bought an XJ to build up. I was on the cheap and XJ lifts were few back then. I picked up a Pro-Crap 3.5 inch lift. It had lowers and coils, but add a leaves for the rear. It didn't even fit 31's with the sway bar connected. My wife took over the XJ shortly after. Now with 230,000 miles on the ticker... it's mine again. My CJ is beat with no rear seat and with a new baby, I want to revive the XJ trail rig plan.

The Pro-Comp lift rides like crap, but it does fit 31's now that I have trimmed. I really want 33's and the lift to clear them without having to hack up too much. I have read a bunch on here about lifts and fitment... so here is my Q.

I have a SYE kit to install so that's no big deal. Is it worth it to get a proper kit, or is it better to try and "work up" parts from different manufacturers? Is it worth the trouble to buy new leaves and add some spacers to my Pro Crap coils? I'm liking the sound of the full traction kit... but I want some opinions based on experience. What is the best way to get a decent riding lift to fit 33's... whether it be a small kit with spacers added, or trimming, or a big lift.... What combos work well for you...?

Get a lift; piecing parts together often gets more expensive and since you're looking at needing at least 4.5" it's a godo time to ditch the ProCrap parts and go with a new one. Check out RE...

I like RE control arms (adjustable of course) and Tereflex coils (super spring rate), RE drop brackets (if you don't go long arm), RE track-bar (adjustable), for rear packs go with RE as well, and use a shackle lift like tereflex.

I had pro-crap as my first lift too. You will notice a huge change in ride with the above set-up. I also run rancho 9000 shocks that are adj. Great for dialing in the ride you want. I really like the Tereflex coils, and I've had RE's coils too. The ride is very nice with the Tereflex coils. If your not doing long arms, get the drop brackets from RE with the braces. This will lower your CA's upper and lowers by 4"s. This gets rid of that jarring liftted ride, and will eliminate any problems with death wobble. This will also give you fantastic flex. So... if your going 33's I suggest an 8" rim with no less than 3.75" back spacing, and at least a 4.5" lift, with some trimming. If your not trimming alot, then I would definately go with 6"s of lift (I would go that route, 6"s, anyway). Pick your lift and get the full length coils to go with it. You will want a cv drive-shaft (your doing that) and re-gear to 4:56 with the automatic trans if you have it. I would look for an 2000 year model or better 8.25 rear axle (I found one to replace the weak d35 with 4:56's already installed for $250 duckets). The 2000 and up are 29 spline axles. Unless your lucky to find a d44 from the xj (a friend of mine has found two of them and paid 100 bucks each). both of these axles are a direct bolt in. Don't waste any money on the d35, just get rid of it now before you build up. You'll also want some quick sway-bar disconnects (JKS, RE, Tereflex). Don't forget the extended stainless stel brake lines. I am also running Currie's heavy duty steering set up. This replaces the stock drag and tie-rod, and tre's. I highly recommend replacing the stock steering with this much lift and 33's. I don't think stock steering is safe for this kind of lift and tires.

My jeep was a daily driver for 4 years with lift varrying from 3"s to 10"s. I'm running most of what I mentioned above with about 8"s of lift and 35's with TJ flares (minus about 4"s of sheet metal). I'm also running 15x10 inch rims with 3.5"s of back spacing. I still take my daughters (6years, and 1 year) in it even on the interstate. I feel very comfortable with it even at 70 MPH. I was like you, got rid of a CJ (Pristine monster CJ-8 to be exact) for a more family oriented rig.

Hope this helps ya, PM me if you have any questions.

Happy Jeepin',

Greddy

Last edited:
Back