• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-44 / Ford 8.8 and 96newer Anti-lock brakes

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
I recently read that the ford 8.8 will not work with the stock xj antilock brake set up...
What can be done to get around this?
I'm currently looking for an 8.8 or a D-44 for my 96, and this is of concern to me.....

I'd like to keep the antilock brakes ( they've saved my ass on a number of occasions)

Any imput would be helpful

I don't think there is a way to use the Ford setup.
You live in Georgia, how much could you possibly need ABS?

With enough time and money you can do anything. I know ABS on a Dana 44 has been done before. I'm in the process of completing it to a 44 before I put it in my jeep (actually I plan to have it done in about 3 weeks when I go home from college for thanksgiving!).

Here is an older thread discussing ABS on both 44s and 8.8s. It probably has all the information you'd need to know. Don't remember where it was, but I saw a step by step article that put ZJ disks and ABS on an 8.25. A lot of the work I did was based off of that article. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36770

-Brian

Edit: My Jeep is a '96, so all the information I posted in that old thread should apply to what you want to do.

kid4lyf said:
I don't think there is a way to use the Ford setup.
You live in Georgia, how much could you possibly need ABS?

You'd be surprised.....

back to my original question, to eliminate the abs, remove all sensors, abs computer, and change out brake lines? anything else?

Culinary_Hooligan said:
to eliminate the abs, remove all sensors, abs computer, and change out brake lines? anything else?
To eliminate abs? Just pull the fuse

All I did when I installed a Ford 8.8 on my 1999 was pull the fuses and a relay. I left everything else in place. It has been working for eleven months without any problems.

-Brian

Culinary_Hooligan said:
You'd be surprised.....

back to my original question, to eliminate the abs, remove all sensors, abs computer, and change out brake lines? anything else?

Back