• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI: Tow hook bracket bolts

redxjjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed OEM tow hooks and brackets on my '95 XJ. Found that the sway bar hit the bolt head on the bolts I used for the rear-most mounting point on the bracket (through the frame). So I changed those bolts to 1/2"x3 1/2" carriage bolts. The rounded head allows plenty of clearance for the sway bar and the "shoulder" of the carriage bolt fits the bracket hole just right. You will need a large diameter washer on the inboard side of the frame as well as a lock washer and (duh) a nut.

Tow hooks and brackets were acquired at the Pull and Save for $..nothing, New bolts cost less than $10.00

I think in the original installation those bolts had shallow torx heads. When I got my brackets and hooks at the junkyard, they just torched them off, because they're essentially impossible to wrench off. When I did mine, I ground down the heads of the bolts. That works too if you don't have carriage bolts or want to use bolts of a higher grade.

Back