• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Adjustment

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
What are you late-model guys with bigger tires doing to correct your speedometer? I have an '01, and I think my speedo receives an electrical signal rather than use a cable and gear. Truspeed? What else?

the Jeeps computer reads how fast the driveshaft is going through the spedo gear at the rear of the t-case.

there are different gears for different gear / tire combos.

you can either change out the gear for about $25-$30
or get into the jeeps computer and basicly have it do the calculations it's self with the stock spedo gear.
:bunny:

I read somewhere though that for 01's and maybe 00's that there isn't any speedo gear, and that the speed is taken from a sensor on the rear driveshaft. Am I wrong?

nosajwp said:
I read somewhere though that for 01's and maybe 00's that there isn't any speedo gear, and that the speed is taken from a sensor on the rear driveshaft. Am I wrong?
Yes ... you're wrong.

The 2000 uses the same speedo drive housing and gear as the earlier ones. FSM calls the speedo drive gear the "speedometer pinion." Page 21-254 of 2000 FSM.

Yep. "pinion". Ha ha. They also call the drive pully a "harmonic balancer". They can charge more for big words.

I just changed mine last weekend when I went to 30s. The gear was $25 from the dealer. Took 5 minutes. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I usually break something.

Back