• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 axle seal

Handlebars said:
Mine is leaking. Do I need to pull the bearing off to change it? A parts diagram would be most helpful, my '97 FSM is no help. :(
Alex-
The seal sits between the bearing and the wheel flange, so the bearing DOES need to come off to change the seal. It's a 10 minute job with a press.

Last edited:
BillR said:
Alex-
The seal sits between the bearing and the wheel flange, so the bearing DOES need to come off to change the seal. It's a 10 minute job with a press.
yeah with a TALL enough press. The 12 ton Harbor Freight required some creative engineering to make it work.

Kejtar said:
yeah with a TALL enough press. The 12 ton Harbor Freight required some creative engineering to make it work.
:repair: I was wondering about that when I put my new press together.
How'd you solve it Remi?

BillR said:
:repair: I was wondering about that when I put my new press together.
How'd you solve it Remi?
Had to use some spare steel for a crossmember and pushed on the shaft from the top to pop the retainer and bearing. Then to put the new one on I set it on the ground (put some steel on the flange so that I wouldn't push out the studs) and I put a pipe over the shaft to push it back on.

Back