• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vent is always warm

How many miles?

The only thing I can think of is that the heater control valve may not be closing off properly, allowing some coolant to circulate through the heater core.

HTH,

Rob

ylojelo said:
01 when ever I want just vent air, with the thermostat all the way to max cool, i still get warm air coming out. Any ideas?

I think it's the nature of the beast. The engine compartment on the XJ
gets mighty warm... and the ventilation air is plumbed along the engine side
of the firewall. My '00 has been like that since it was new.

Den

Yeah, mine has been like that since I got it (with 300 miles but a year old), but my '92 wasnt like that. Where is this heater control valve? And anyone know how Id check it?

I looked for a control valve on my 97. Guess what, it doesn't appear to have one. Actually a pretty typical situation in American cars. Notice also, most foriegn cars have a separate vent control.

Yes, if you don't actually turn on the AC it will blow out warm/hot air since there is no way of shutting off the coolant from the heater core.

My '01 has also done this since new. However, after driving a few minutes, it will cool down to ambient temperature.

Stan

Gee, you all seem to have a "consensus" going here . . . 'sorry to "throw a monkey wrench into it" but, we own two '88XJ Limiteds and a '91 XJ "plane-jane" and NONE have ever had this problem . . . . . temperature switch all the way to the left (cold) and in the other selector in the "vent" position . . . you get outside air. I use this position a lot when I'm driving any one of our XJ's. Having never had the problem, though, I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help re a solution short of what was suggested early in this thread. Don

The concensus seems to be with the late models.

On my '89 the linkage thats under the dash on the passanger side will get kicked sometimes and I half to re-adjust it to get everything working again.

Back