• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbos?

M. Lake

NAXJA Forum User
I was woundering if there is a vehicle in a junk yard that I could go strip the turbo off of to push my stroker? I'm sure I could put together the rest of the kit little by little, but I cant pay $X,XXX for a compressor. I have not got the exhaust done yet and would like to have at least the compressor when the motor gets done next month.

There is a group on Yahoo that deals with home grown turbos. I have a few books on DIY turbos but haven't tried it yet. another option I have heard of is a blower of and early toyota MR2. Not sure how well it works but some day i may get the chance.

GaryE doesn't know it yet, but he's going ot help me prototype a turbo on my 4.0. :)

I'll be using the T-3 from a TurboCoupe, or a CT26 from a Supra. Both push plenty of air to move 5 or 6 pounds of boost with minimal heating mof the charge, and both are small enough to spool quickly and start building power at around 2,000.

If you have a Renix motor, you are in luck, as the fuel mapping of the computer, combined with the knock sensor, really make adding a turbo a breeze. You'll want some uprated injectors in the 21 pound range (if you're going to run a stroker + turbo), and then fine tune with an adjustable fuel pressure reguator.

CRASH

bring it on! I'd rather blow your junk up first :D BTW I don't think there is enough room near the Oil filter. There actually appears to be more room on the other side, cut and splice it into the down pipe.

I will realy need to run 30# injectors and have a line up on a set. I will be able to run 5PSI boost. I was thinking of stiking it where the stock air box is, plenty of room between intake and fender well. What year supra would I want to look into.

Thanks guys!

Any Supra from 1987 to 1992 will have a CT26. The cool thing about these turbos is that they have oil AND coolant passages on them. Hence, they run cooler and last longer.

Gary, there is room by the oil filter, not behind it, but sort of above it.

CRASH

I just posted a thread about twin turbos! But it's about purchasing new ones, like for a 4.6L Ford V8.

Older turbos generally don't have ball bearings, so you'll get more lag. Also, I think they need plumbing for their oil, whereas ball bearing turbos are maintenance-free (and more expensive).

I've thought about using turbos from a WRX or similar displacement motor - if you get 2 turbos from an STi, you should theoretically be able to push 600HP, if the block/crank/etc. can take it. Dunno about finding those in a junkyard, much less for cheap. Plus, they're 2.5L motors, and rev much higher, and make something like 17psi boost! Not good for a stock crank/block/pistons/rods - hopefully your stroker had a few bucks put into it?

Make sure you take into account the displacement and the operating range of the motor you're taking the turbos from. The turbo has to be able to push c. 600CFM to make 5psi boost @ 5500RPM on your stroker. 160CFM @ 1500RPM for 5psi. (all at STP)

I don't know where you could find a set of turbo compressor maps.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

Just my $.02......

CRASH said:
Any Supra from 1987 to 1992 will have a CT26. The cool thing about these turbos is that they have oil AND coolant passages on them. Hence, they run cooler and last longer.

Gary, there is room by the oil filter, not behind it, but sort of above it.

CRASH

If you use the Supra Wastegate, you can push 12-15 Lbs out of the CT26. People have run them around 20 Lbs, but they die quick.

IF you want some basic Supra info....Look here
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/index.html

Back