• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid u-bolt question

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
I reciently picked up a set of used OME springs that came off a 96 with the 8.25 rear. These are going to go on my 87 with a D35. I know that the diameters are different, and am wondering if I need to use different sized U-bolts. From what I have read in searching suggests that axle size may affect fitting, but I also noticed that most places that sell XJ lifts don't list different rear ends.

Thanks,

-Copperhead

Yes, the u-bolts are different. If the axle tubes are different diameters, it just figures that the u-bolts would be different too.

Actually, if you look in certain catalogs (i.e. Quadratec), they list different lift kits according to whether you have the 35 or 8.25.

If a company does not list different kits, usually they will confirm which rear end you have, upon ordering.

teh 8.25 is a 3" Outer Diamiter tube and the d35 is a 2.75" OD tube IIRC

when i did the spring swap to 4.5" Extreme Duty RE leaves, i used the stock U-Bolts...

XJ_ranger said:
teh 8.25 is a 3" Outer Diamiter tube and the d35 is a 2.75" OD tube IIRC

when i did the spring swap to 4.5" Extreme Duty RE leaves, i used the stock U-Bolts...

i thought the 8.25 had a 3.25" tube... i may be wrong though.. also the u-bolts should always be replaced. they stretch when torqued down.. just like u-joint straps, not re-usable...

Thanks for the info guys. I thought there was a chance that there were different ones. I live up where they like to salt the roads heavily, and everything seemes to rust in 5 minutes. I planned on changing out the bolts due to corrosion. Looking at some of the torque specs for these, I'm not suprised they recommend replacing.

-Copperhead

Back