• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body color fenders

98 sport

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to have that white/ fading/ oxidation whatever problem on my 97 black plastic fender flares. The body colored ones with the colored grill + those grey 5 spokes make later jeeps look pretty slick IMHO. has anyone painted the plastic fender flares to match? Or do you have to order ones that have a paint compatable surface? curious minds wanna know.

Go to your local Autozone or other car parts place. They have a primer specifically made for painting over plastic. Wipe the fenders down a couple of times with paint thinner or MEK to get the wax off, spray with the primer according to instructions, then get your self a rattle can of matching color. A body shop would add plasticizer to the paint before spraying to keep it flexible, but the rattle can should work pretty well as long as you use the primer.

I did the same to my 88', but I ran out of primer when I got to the last flare (I did a lot of trim too). The paint hasn't cracked yet, but It's only been 3 weeks since she was finished. Go with the primer.

Spray paint doesn't harden as much as a catalized automotive paint, so you don't need to worry about cracking, just primer it up and rattle can away!

Josh

JBrobeck said:
Spray paint doesn't harden as much as a catalized automotive paint, so you don't need to worry about cracking, just primer it up and rattle can away!

Josh

there's to many variables in paint to say one type is more flexible than others. I used to paint cars and was PPG certified at one time. I have seen automotive paint that you can peel off and almost fold like paper.

Back