• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrangler np231

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 95 xj, 4.0, aw4 and a quickly failing t-case. if i can get a good t-case from a wrangler (np231 obviously) will it work. does the wrangler need to have same engine/tranny combo or just tranny? any help and ideas would be much appreciated.

mike

Yes, it will work. Just make sure the case your getting has the correct input spline count - 23 in your case.

I found this swap to be a direct bolt in with the exception of:
a) Had to flip around the shift lever (on the TCase), or I used the one from my old case... i dont remember. This prolly doesnt make sense, but when you go to hook up your shifting stuff, you will understand.

b) I had to swap the front DS yoke. The one off your old case should work like a charm.

have fun...

-jm

What HTeK is referring to is that on the YJ Wranglers (the leaf spring models with square headlights) the transfer case shifter doesn't use a linkage that mounts on the floor of the vehicle like the XJ, it mounts directly on the transfer case, and the lever is mounted the reverse of the way it is on an XJ transfer case. Pay careful attention to how the XJ shift is set up, take pics before removal, and move all the linkage over to the new transfer case.

I believe the TJ (round headlight) Wranglers use a linkage similar to the XJ, but I'm not sure of that.

HTeK said:
Yes, it will work. Just make sure the case your getting has the correct input spline count - 23 in your case.

its not that simple. there are different input shaft lengths too. i had to cut off .7" from the input shaft to get a TJ 23 spline 231 to bolt up to my 23 spline aw4. check out http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm for some good info.

BrettM said:
YJs have the t-case clocked at a different angle, I'm not sure if the difference is on the tranny or the t-case.

the clocking is in the wrangler transmission. there is no difference in clocking in the transfer case.

I am currently running a 94 YJ 231 in my 91 XJ. I don't remember what we had to do for the shifter but I know we had to use the back half of my old case to mate up the stock rear DS.
Tony
P.S. A note to anyone with a disconnect front axle: the later 231's (94-up) are not synchronized if you use one you will lose your shift on the fly capabilities unless you; a) lock your axle disconnect or b) add the synchro to the case.

you can take the imput shaft out of the old (assuming its not ****ed up) and put it in the new and viola, it fits on your old transmission like new

Back