• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch grease

brokexj

NAXJA Member #1165
I have a Warn M5000 that I just finished taking apart and cleaning. Anybody know what the best grease to pack the gears, how much, should I use RTV on the new gaskets, etc? The winch had a definite water line in the case when I pulled it apart so I want to make it as sealed as I can, any ideas? Thanks.

got an onboard compressor yet? I would highly advise tapping a hole in the case for a fitting and running about 5PSI to the winch when you're finished with the rebuild-- during water crossings, pump the 5PSI to the winch-- no more water problems!

brokexj said:
I have a Warn M5000 that I just finished taking apart and cleaning. Anybody know what the best grease to pack the gears, how much, should I use RTV on the new gaskets, etc? The winch had a definite water line in the case when I pulled it apart so I want to make it as sealed as I can, any ideas? Thanks.
I used a moly graphite engine assembley lube on mine. This is what my local Warn certified repair center told me to use. As far as the RTV goes. It couldn't hurt anything.

Back