• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine is dying........

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
ok, friday night i was out screwing around after work showing off the jeep to some friends(particularly one that has never been offroad, he says it gives you a rush btw and he was even in the back seat). anyway, i hit a mud whole going a little fast. im not talking like 25 mph, but probably a bit faster than u should if u know what your doing. so i hit it and my jeep dies. i stop with my front end out and my rear bumper is still under water completely(with a 4.5" lift and 33's). as you know, its nearly impossible to restart an engine if your tailpipe is submerged, but after about a minute or two i start cranking and hear some bubbles. i mash on it and it starts. after blowing all the crap out of my pipe i slam it into drive and blast out of the whole(still having the record of never getting stuck, just temporarily immobilized). then i was ****ed so i put it in 4 low and drove back through the whole on my way out. THEN(if your still reading) after washing it the next day im sitting there at the car wash talking and my jeep starts idling like a geo running on wiskey. not a big deal, i drove around and blew it out. well the next day my check engine light came on and it starting being stupid. it didnt want to shift at the right time and now every time you let of the gas, even driving, it dies and there is NO steering those 33's w/o power steering. so i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with this.

hell, if you even read all the way through this just post saying you did and your good in my book.

thanks

It sounds a lot like your engine may have ingested some water and partially hydrolocked. Starting it and driving it again without clearing all water from the cylinders may have done some internal damage.

I suggest that you start by running a compression check on all cylinders.

You should also get the codes read to find out what triggered the Check Engine light.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
It sounds a lot like your engine may have ingested some water and partially hydrolocked. Starting it and driving it again without clearing all water from the cylinders may have done some internal damage.

I suggest that you start by running a compression check on all cylinders.
i agree on the compression test - also check the Throttle position sensor- i blew one of theos while pressure washing the jeep...

Back