• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with the Drive Shaft

OT

NAXJA Forum User
I ended up orienting the slip joint right in the middle which gives 2.5" of travel both ways. It was tough, though, getting the shaft turned down to the right diameter for the ends. I sure hope the Liquid Nails holds.

is.php

is.php

Last edited:
Cool, you can even tell it's age by the rings.
I was thinking of making a cork filled one to sell to Chicago Jeepers.

Rev Den said:
From what I hear....this is the only wood shaft Terry has ever had, of his own that is.

Rev
While I may not know how to work the wood like you, Rev,

I think I did a pretty bang up job.

Last edited:
quite literealy the beefiest woody ive ever seen...

xjj33p3r said:
So, why did you make a driveshaft out of wood?
It just made sense, that oak, being a hardwood, has many desirable properties that would be advantageous in a driveshaft. While being extremely strong after pressure treating it at 16 tons in formaldahyde, it still displays a tendency for antiflexion.

There is also the issue of being perfectly balanced after turning it on a lathe, not to mention being extremely light compared to a heavy metal driveshaft.

The key is in knowing the stress points of the drive shaft and exploiting it's weaknesses.

So, there won't be any problems with shrinking or expanding with hot and cold weather? Or has the pressure treating taken care of that?

BrettM said:
does it act as a driveline fuse? instead of breaking axle shafts the wood d-shaft may break instead, and since it's so light and cheap you could carry a spare which would only take a few minutes to bolt up.
All I would need to carry is a hand saw and a Buck Knife and I would, in fact, be able to whittle a trail spare on the spot.

And Mark, I have already finished it. I used clear polyurethane for waterproofing, and I prefer natural rather than stain.

Looks good Terry, but as a woodworker, I gotta say you should have used hickory for more strength and better weather resistance. It stains nice, too.

xjj33p3r said:
So, there won't be any problems with shrinking or expanding with hot and cold weather? Or has the pressure treating taken care of that?
The shrinkage/expansion is minimal due to the pressure treating. The formaldahyde is the key.

Back