• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake lights Blow

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Seems everytime I go off-roading and hit a good bump, I come back only to discover one of my brake lights has blown. Is this a problem for anyone else? What might be causing it. The taillight still works fine but no brake light. I don't suspect the fuse seeing as to how I've not yet replaced it and the lights work after putting in a new bulb. Could it be wiring? Somehow a surge gets sent through or something? I'm grabbing at strings. Its not a huge problem cuz bulbs are cheap but I don't want to have to replace one or both everytime I off-road...Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a short. Chk where the wires pass thru the firewall and other body parts. Also pull the inside rear panel and make sure the wire hasn't rubbed it's insulation off against the body panel. If your doing a water crossing every time you go out it may be water getting into the rear 1/4 panels. One of the places on my 97 that let water in was the breathing vents at the rear of the door jamb. They're outside the door gasket so they let lots of water/mud in between the outer and inner panels once it gets up that high. I take off the plastic vents and duct tape em now.

Thanks, I usually buy the GE or Sylvania, whatever brand Wal-Mart carries. I currently have a supply of 3 pairs in my toolbox...and that's the limit of my "trail spares":D

Back