• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting lights on the roof w/o roof rack

ucilxj

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to see some pictures of lights mounted on the roof without a roof rack. like a custom light bar, or if there is a company that makes a light bar. Im just looking for a way to minimize the height. could I jus tmount them to the roof?? any suggestions or comments??

i have a light bar on mine, if you want a can put up a pick when i get home. if i hadnt got the bar cheap, i would have just used one of the bars on the rack slid forward and just drilled some holes in it.

CARR makes one as does MAKO(found on e-bay) they all seem to stand above the roof a few inches though
I wouldnt punch holes in the roof, your roof liner would be ruined, and if that is not an issue, it would certainly leak, then the roof may not be strong enough to stay straight against the wind, unless you mounted it on a rib, or perhaps with a backing plate, which would provide a place for water to collect and rust your roof out from the inside.

if low profile is a must. find someone who can make one that attaches to your gutterrails, and make it stiff so it wont wobble in the wind and beat on your roof.

I'd look for a lightbar (first choice,) or use a reinforcement plate and go right thru the roof (distant second choice.)

For the electrical bit, I'm cranky. I don't like my wiring to leak, and I like durable connexions, so I'd stick to Amphenol connectors or similar. You can find a decent selection for a (relatively) good price at Allied Electronics - www.alliedelec.com. Amphenols aren't cheap, but you can find similar connectors as well, and they'll also work. Amphenols are MIL and NAS, so you get what you pay for with them... It's up to you.

5-90

Red97XJ said:
I have a 97 and my factory rack goes full lentgh roof, I drilled 4 holes in bar and mounted 400 watts of daylight to it.

He doesn't have roof racks

Dean

if your up for off the wall ideas... check out the detours cowl-a-bunga and call them, maybe they'll make one for the cherokee and yours can be their at cost prototype...

http://www.detoursusa.com/

Back