• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP !!!!!!!!!! The Enviro-Nazi's got me..................

WesternXJ

NAXJA Forum User
:evil: After going to the smog referee on Monday, I was told I have to install the '91 computer on my Jeep!!!!!! What's up with that????? It passed [b:4a0ad5c453][i:4a0ad5c453]ALL[/i:4a0ad5c453][/b:4a0ad5c453] the emission test's, but failed because "the computer is not comunicating with the engine", HUH :roll: ?????? It has to be comunicating with the engine in order for the engine to run!!!! :shock:

Well after much knashing of teeth and talks to the man upstairs, I've decided to swap the '89 head, intake and exhaust manifolds onto the '91 block. 8)

Anyone see why this won't work?

I'm SOOOOOOOO tired of wrenching on this thing.

What a pain, how were they able to tell the diffrence?

What about Putting in the 91 computer, cut a good foot or wires on the end of the computer shove the wires under the carpet and show the smog man the 91 computer sitting there :)

I didn't say anything on our Swamp trip, but I wondered how you were going to get that thing smogged. I didn't want to bring it up assuming that you already knew what you were up against and had moved all the later model stuff over. When installing a motor that's a later year model than the chassis, all of the smog/engine control/fuel system needs to be what was on the later model engine.

You can't fake the computer because the Chrysler computer gives different readings/codes/etc than the Renix computer and the smog machine will tell them.

Do you have to change the head? They don't know what block and head you have, just the external stuff. I don't know, but shouldn't the '89 manifolds bolt up to the HO head?

Unfortunately, the visual inspection is just as important as the sniffer, which is why us non-HO folks can't put an aftermarket intake on our rigs......they have to have the heat exchange from the exhaust manifold. :roll:

Richard G

Yes you can bolt the HO intake and exhaust to the non HO head with some minor port work, but I think it's faster to just swap the heads.

The only difference is the TB opening (60mm compared to the non HO's 55mm).

Thanks Jack. I'm ready to bolt the '89 head on tomorrow and get as far as I can. Now I need to buy all the plumbing that goes across the valve cover and a new accelerator cable. It might be done (again) by next weekend. :roll:

Back