• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power to crank windows

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
like it says i have power windows and most of the trails around here are very tight so i have some carnage on the doors and power windows are slower than shit so how hard is it to convert to crank windows? And what all does it take to do it?

go to the junk yard get the mechanisms for the crank window. Then i took a dremel to the rivets and grinded them off (pain in the ass) then put the manual one in and use some small bolts to connect it.oh yeah you might also have to buy some new inner door panels if you dont want to cut holes in the old one for the actual crank.

scott

what years your xj? I have all four manual window controllers in my basement from when I converted to power. If its a 97+ you have all the bolts you need, you just need the actual crank handle and drill a hole in the door panel.

dont mean to steal the thread but how much does it run to convert to power windows on a 97...?

tone said:
dont mean to steal the thread but how much does it run to convert to power windows on a 97...?
I did it (and locks) on my 99 by getting all the parts, new door panels, and wiring it all together for about $400 and over 12 hours of research/work. Worth it though...

tone said:
I bought all the motors off ebay, bolts right up and I got a switch harness from some online store, bought new door panels and mounted the switches in the stock location.

RWB214 said:
I did it (and locks) on my 99 by getting all the parts, new door panels, and wiring it all together for about $400 and over 12 hours of research/work. Worth it though...
you use oem wiring/ switches?

dothedew24_7 said:
you use oem wiring/ switches?

Looks like i actually spent a little more than I said before, here's a breakdown of everything:

4 door panels, shipped - $129.99
1 window regulator - $25
generic wire/spice connectors - $37.40
OEM ford lock switch that i installed
in the back tailgate area (very convenient!) - $5.28
Combination of:
3 other window regulators
lock mechanisms for all 5 doors
connectors to plug into switches + about 1' of wire on each one
switch panels (which already came with the doors so i sold them off)
wiring harness for the trunk (which my XJ already had so im trying to sell it)- $250

That all adds up to $447.67. Trying to sell off the extra stuff and the old parts from my doors on ebay, ive been able to make back about $250 - so in the end i ended up spending a little less than $200, and i still have some of the stuff listed on ebay, but it took a lot of work. I can give you all the wiring/splice info i compiled if you're interested.

On a good note, it rasied the blue book value of my jeep a few hundred $'s :)

That'd be great...I have a 1991 4-door w/ power window/lock issues, just snag the manual doors and swap 'em out. Then I'd have the spare doors for my half's too!! :D

Back