• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace the Waterpump w/95,000 miles + what hoses?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I just completed installing fuel injectors in my XJ '89 I-6. Now I'm moving on to the cooling/heating hoses.

I'm wondering if I should replace the waterpump while I'm at it, since it has about 95,000 miles on it? I know the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but just wondering if this would be preventive mantainance.

Is there a brand everyone recomends?

Also I was going to buy hoses at my local American Auto store but declined as the hoses look so thin and cheap. Should I just go to the dealer? Or is Napa better?

Thanks,

John

I think there is a forum consensus on buying the lower hose from the dealership. It has the internal spring that prevents hose collapse which will constrict coolant flow. I have followed this advice. I still have an upper hose from a run-of-the-mill parts store though. Will probably buy a dealer upper hose once that needs it. Both dealer hoses come with an anti-chafing sleeve I believe; so that's another added bonus with OEM.

I would change out the waterpump and the belt. Save the old belt as an emergency spare. But that's me. I'm paranoid about breaking down. A 95K old w/p scares me.

There's a myriad of opinions on waterpump brands. I just installed a GMB with lifetime warranty. So if it eats it I can always get another one. I can't attest to the reliability of this brand just quite yet.

I bought my GMB w/p at Checker Auto but I'm sure similar stores would also carry it. It is a fairly inexpensive "generic" brand. Just make sure you keep your sales receipt in a safe place for the lifetime warranty.

I've read good things about Hesco. And 50/50 opinions on Flowkooler. But those highflow pumps are beyond my budget right now. If you have some serious overheating problems and you have the cash then I'd get one. It may help out.

There's a certain brand (I can't remember the name) people recommend staying away from. Do a search. It's in a thread somewhere.

my water pump went out at 170K on 93 4.0
though I have heard they are a 120K part, usualy going down hill around then.
I just got one from local parts store cause it was broke and needed to be fixed asap.

Get the upper hose at the dealer. The one I got from Napa had a smaller inside dia. & the XJ seemed to run hotter. Put the dealer hose on & everything is fine. JIM.

Johnny V said:
Thanks XJade!

Where is GMB sold?

Anyone happy with Hesco? http://www.hescosc.com/HFW.html

Anyone happy with Flowkooler? http://www.flowkooler.com/engines.php?make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&year=1989

Thanks,

John V.

I have a FlowKooler and am very pleased. I read a lot of threads which debated HP over standard w/p as well as different brands. I have had it in for about 20,000 miles and am very happy. In the middle of the summer, with the AC on and at an idle, it is stuck at 210. Normally runs at about 200. Recently, it has turned cool, and it is running at 195; I know this since I bought a 195 thermostat and it does not open up much. In fact, I am a bit concerned about running to cool. However, it is a nice problem to have.
BSD

Back