• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another problem . . . turn signals

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else out there having problems with their turn signal not turning off automatic-like . . . it is bothersome to have to poink the lever back to off every time I turn.

Seems like something's gone wrong with some kind of spring in the steering column.

Anyone have a fix for this. The dealership wants about $150 to fix it.

And I'm cheap

:D:D:D

What year is your XJ?

If it's '94 or older, you have a GM Saginaw steering column. Go to any auto parts store and get the white plastic turn signal cam replacement. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool to install it.

If the store you go to carries the HELP! line of parts, you'll find the turn signal cam on that rack.

I had the exact same problem on my 97. I looked into a new switch to much money I took the entire switch out figuring the worst I could do was break it. The spring inside the switch had busted. I looked for a replcement found one in a ball point pen:looney: I had to strech it out a little to get the tension right initially it wouldn't shut off at all. After a couple trys It worked and has been working for 2 yrs.
:party:

barger
where is that switch at? mine does the same thing. its become second nature to just flip the turn signal back to off. but it would be nice to fix it. thanks again

rick

Its a 98 . . . they guy at the garage said there are a lot of Jeepers with this problem.

I checked Alldata and there's no TSB out on it . . . yet!!!

I pulled the cover off the steering column the switch was attached by just a couple of screws. I removed the entire assembly took it inside and pulled the switch apart. Take it slow there are some spring loaded parts in there and it took some patience to get it all put back together.I think I had to disassemble and re-assemble 3 or 4 times before I got it right. I couldn't find a drawing of the switch anywhere and neither could my dealer so I winged it. I tried to find the right size spring at the hardware store and I still think if I could have found it the fix would have been better.
Good luck
Barger
NAXJA

Back