• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help please buying new leafs

bigliftr5211

NAXJA Forum User
hi i am buying new rear leaf springs within the next 2 weeks and i want to order through the internet and install them with my dad. I have a 94 2dr 2wd cherokee and the leafs are in a declined position and are unsavable. I have looked at jcwhitney and espo.com and even eatonsprings but eaton does not list the jeep so i need help or advise on where to find some new rear springs and even if you guys can an estimate on the price i am hoping to pay about 200 but thats just me thank you for your time. I want stock springs and i would apreciate information on what other hardware i will need and if possible the size of my u-bolts thank you

Last edited:
are you looking for a stock repalcement spring? or a lift spring?
i will suggest you get new axle u-bolts and new bolts to secure the springs to the frame and shackles.

bigliftr5211 said:
hi i am buying new rear leaf springs within the next 2 weeks and i want to order through the internet and install them with my dad. I have a 94 2dr 2wd cherokee and the leafs are in a declined position and are unsavable. I have looked at jcwhitney and espo.com and even eatonsprings but eaton does not list the jeep so i need help or advise on where to find some new rear springs and even if you guys can an estimate on the price i am hoping to pay about 200 but thats just me thank you for your time. I want stock springs and i would apreciate information on what other hardware i will need and if possible the size of my u-bolts thank you

I bought springs from ESPO for my '68 Fairlane. Price was good, shipped quickly, I have no complaints. They should be able to set you up with new u-bolts right away too.

The only problem I had when I changes the rear leafs on my XJ was the front bolts. One of them came out really really hard. I got it out but I had to use a plasma cutter and cut the front eye off the spring. It was a major ordeal. I hope yours goes smoother.

Good luck,
B-loose

annother option

check the for sale forum for a jeep that someone is parting out OR someone who lifted their rig. I think i saw some springs with like 25,000 miles on them and the guy just wanted them gone - free...

quadratec is another option to look at. http://www.quadratec.com/
They have regular and 'heavy duty'
(I know nothing about them, I've been searching myself.)

Quadratec's "search" function is brain dead by the way. You have to hunt down through the right category tree to find anything.
Heres the part #'s for the springs..
56010 10
56010 11

For a 94 in Arizona, rusted bolts should not be a major factor, even if you live in northern AZ. If you look under the vehicle, you should find a hole in the "frame" rail very near the forward leaf spring bolt. That bolt goes into a nut that's tack welded inside the frame, so you don't want the nut to break the welds. Stick a can of PB Blaster with a nozzle in the hole every day for a week before you start work to soak down that bolt. Also soak it on the outside, because the bolt goes through a steel sleeve in the spring bushing and the bolt often siezes in the sleeve.

Ditto in the rear.

IMHO you won't buy better (stock) springs than factory Up Country springs, but they are probably a bit more than your budget. A couple of people have posted that they bought springs from JC Whitney and were satisfied. They often whack you on shipping, though. Compare the final price including shipping between JCW and Quadraaatec, and buy whichever is cheaper.

Save your old springs, and if the new ones begin to sag, take the old ones apart, cut the eyes off the main leaves, and do the home-brew AAL (it has been written up here a couple of times).

Ive seen Dealers list "standard" "heavy duty" and "factory off road".
Is one of those "up country"?
The dealer prices are double quadratec "OEM" btw but I thought maybe they
were priced per pair..

bigliftr5211 said:
I have a 94 2dr 2wd cherokee and the leafs are in a declined position and are unsavable.
Just noticed that you apparently are judging the condition of your springs by appearance. BIG mistake. Most people are accustomed to how leaf springs look when they run under the axle. Those have a definite arch to them. The Cherokee springs run over the axle and are designed to be essentially flat. I've looked at new ones just off the truck, and they looked flat (or slightly bent down toward the tail end of the springs).

The only way to assess the condition of your stock springs is to measure. Measure from the center of the hubcap/wheel center straight up to the bottom edge of the flare lip. This dimension should be 17", plus or minus maybe 1/4".

Unless your ride height is WAAAAY lower than that, it's a mistake to think your springs are unsavable. Last year I refurbished an '88 Laredo with 164,000 miles on it for a friend. Rear ride height had sagged to about 16-1/2". I knew she wanted to use the Jeep to access remote trail heads for hiking, and carry her dog in the back, so I wanted to get back just a bit of ground clearance. I used the main leaves from another XJ, cut the eyes off the ends, and put them into the spring packs just under the main leaves in the vehicle, as full-length add-a-leaves (AALs).

I got a gross lift of about 1-1/4", which after making up for the 1/2" sag left it riding about 3/4" higher than "stock." It looked fine, ride quality was excellent, and since the AALs were "seasoned" XJ leaves that matched the arch of the rest of the pack, I'm confident that there will be very little additional sag, if any. She has had the vehicle for a bit more than a year and is still pleased with it.

So I don't think you need to consider your existing springs "unsavable." Dig out the tape measure and establish your baseline before pushing the panic button.

Re: need help please buying new leafs-SUmmit Racing

You can get a set from Summit Racing (summitracing.com) for about $80 each. I just got mine from there, they look great. I will be installing them in the next month or so.

Back